Whats a Semi-Skilled Trades Person Mean?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Seen a job add for Semi-Skilled Trades Person, surely its either a skilled trade or not? :confused: [/b]
Enlighten me!

Sponsored Links
A handyman is semi skilled; jack of all master of none. Basically has a base understanding without the nessecary qualifications.

Seen a job add for Semi-Skilled Trades Person, surely its either a skilled trade or not? :confused: [/b]
Enlighten me!

Means different things,

* Can carry out a task, but has to be supervised,
* Can carry out the task, but the task must be checked before it goes live,
* Can carry out the specific task unsupervised and switch it live as he has had sufficient training for that particular task,

Sponsored Links
Anyone with an NVQ, or a non viable qualification.

There must be a hell of a lot of semi skilled construction workers nowadays. Under the modern apprenticeship scheme, joiners, bricklayers, plasterers, painter/ decorators etc can only get NVQ's.

There must be a hell of a lot of semi skilled construction workers nowadays. Under the modern apprenticeship scheme, joiners, bricklayers, plasterers, painter/ decorators etc can only get NVQ's.

Yep, organised training/apprenticeships stopped in 1979 due to M Thatcher taking notice of whinging major contractors, the same people who now complain they cannot get experienced skilled staff. :LOL: :LOL:

Semi skilled means you can break things, but not repair them.

A demolition expert is a skilled job. I bet they can't put back these huge buildings they blow up back together again. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

I first told my wife about this position after a few cans. Which I said "good chance there still looking for a semi-skimmed trades person at the hospital", as I was finishing making the coffee!!

She stared at me with confusion?? :confused: :?:

When I was serving my time, the unions determined who got a skilled or semi skilled card

Semi skilled included crane drivers, slingers, stud welders and red leaders

There's nothing wrong with nvqs, just the people that do them. They give you a good basic grounding in a specified field and require you to prove you've done certain tasks in a real world situation. The problem is that once you've got the bit of paper many people assume thats it done they know what they're doing now, when realistically you've been given the tools to further your learning and you then need to go off and work amongst some experienced people to become fully skilled.
I think an NVQ once finished should be provisional, and then after a further 2yrs of fulltime work with a company in that trade they will upgrade it. It will then allow people to go off and work full time as now, but stop people going out on their own straight out of college.

Sponsored Links
Back