Whats a Semi-Skilled Trades Person Mean?

Sponsored Links
when nvqs 1st came in i was in 1 of the last groups completing city and guilds,nvq peeps got 3 attempts to do all/any work required,city and guilds got 1 attempt and that was that and marked accordingly.

now a future employer would have no idea that his future star(nvq)had taken more then 1 attempt to do what was required.total waste of materials,i do hope it has changed since the late 80s :rolleyes:

luckily... i did a 7 day course in bricklaying and plastering... so going to build some houses.... who needs training.... i am fully qualified.....

any qualification is no more than minimum standard plus or minus a little bit
90% off the learning happens on the job after the first year getting you up to around 40 or 50 %

Sponsored Links
NVQ seems to teach to an exam pass, rather than actually learning anything technically. Being onsite, and learning from the ground up is more practical, and useful, but learning to pass an exam?

Are you getting confused between a GNVQ (worth 4 GCSE passes) and an NVQ (portfolio of evidence based on work completed on site)? C&G plumbing assessments allow up to 3 resits of a test, whether it's theory exams or practical assessments.

NVQ seems to teach to an exam pass, rather than actually learning anything technically. Being onsite, and learning from the ground up is more practical, and useful, but learning to pass an exam?

The NVQ assessments , are all carried out on site nowadays. Around 10 -15 yrs ago they could do them in college using simulation (ie, hanging a door/doing a traditional roof etc would be done in college on specially built rigs).
I did the D32/33 assessors qualification (that's more about knowing how the system works than assessments)
College assessments were easier to do than site ones. At least you could keep dry and warm whilst doing their assessments.
Must admit though, some students struggle with the theory rather than the practical, probably because they are working on site more than they are in college. Theory is just the underpinning knowledge bit. I once asked a student why do we cut birdsmouths on rafters on a traditional roof !! The answer,, "Because the college lecturer says so !!!" ;) ;) ;)

The NVQ assessments , are all carried out on site nowadays. Around 10 -15 yrs ago they could do them in college using simulation (ie, hanging a door/doing a traditional roof etc would be done in college on specially built rigs).
I did the D32/33 assessors qualification (that's more about knowing how the system works than assessments)
College assessments were easier to do than site ones. At least you could keep dry and warm whilst doing their assessments.
Must admit though, some students struggle with the theory rather than the practical, probably because they are working on site more than they are in college. Theory is just the underpinning knowledge bit. I once asked a student why do we cut birdsmouths on rafters on a traditional roof !! The answer,, "Because the college lecturer says so !!!" ;) ;) ;)

Yes I agree, that's what I was getting at; when I was at college, practical work was easy, in electronics, specifically repair, as I was doing that day to day, but the theory and math I struggled with, and the lecturers concurred, they had uni students in that knew the theory and math, but didn't know which end of a soldering iron to hold. No offense to those that attend Uni, as that leads on to design and build, rather than groundwork repair, and fix.

Sponsored Links
Back