What's best option for roofing small flat roofs these days?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The flat roof on top of my bay window that runs all the way up the house to bottom of pitched roof above first floor needs replacing. The previous felt has worn through, torn on the corners and such (see photo).

What would anyone recommend as material for replacement? You can't see it so it doesn't need to be a decorative finish, other than that something hardwearing would be great.

Also any idea what ballpark you'd think of charging for the work? it's about 2m x 0.5m, in a \_/ shape. South East England area.

Cheers!

whatsapp-image-2019-05-16-at-13-52-26rob-1-jpeg.33505

Sponsored Links
I went with fibreglass, but it was a tough call between that and rubber.
No idea of cost, was part of a loft conversion.

Sponsored Links
Main cost these days will be for scaffolding and fall protection.
Torched felt is fine and will last well if done properly- obvious risk of fire during the works.
Fibreglass is good but you'll need to reboard first and possibly put extra timbers in to properly support the boards.
For that size, lead might be cost effective.

What are everyones' thoughts on solutions that are applied as a liquid and set into something like rubber/fibreglass?

I've had two quotes from people, one using Fix-R and one using Evercryl, which look similar to me.

£750 for each, versus two quotes for £450 for torch-on felt.

Sounds about right. The fibreglass needs a new, solid deck to function properly. EPDM not so much, likewise felt. With all of them, detail is important (especially the join from roof to wall)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back