What's causing shed floor to rot?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Gonna cut this rotten shed floor out and replace with chipboard. But what's causing it. Should I put dpm under it?

The panels on side are pushing each other. Is this expansion? Would a block plane to trim it a
20210310_105100.jpg
20210310_105428.jpg
bit do the trick?

Sponsored Links
It looks as if the entire hut base is sat on the floor - that is a really bad idea, because it will soak up moisture and be constantly damp causing rot. It needs to be raised off the ground or the slab, so air can get under it. I would suspect the timber floor battens have rotted out.

+1, definitely get it up off the deck by at least 40mm, it could be an idea to block the gaps with chicken wire to keep the leaves etc out at the same time.
Will that shiplap push back in?
John :)

I wonder if it has anything to do with all that water leaking in through and under the walls? :rolleyes:

I'll get some odds from Ladbrokes on how long the new chipboard floor will last. I'll put 50p on two months and £5 on a wet summer anyway.

Sponsored Links
Whatever you put down as a replacement floor, painting the underside with a bitumen-based paint should prolong its life.

The wall looks wet too, is it just one wall that is wet, perhaps caused by the window?

Definitely needs raising up on bearers regardless.

Where's @HERTS P&D when you need him?

Dismantle shed. Make new base from treated 3 x 2 softwood battening and some OSB3 or the like (nailed on top, for the floor, on 600mm centres) and sit the new base on a DPM. Re-assemble the shed sides on the new base and replace the roof which will probably need refelting. As to the T&G, it has swollen from water absorption and a plane won't work - the lot will have to come off from that point down (or up, depending on which is least work) and be refixed. That's the proper fix. Frankly I think it's more work than it's worth

Last edited by a moderator:
JESUS H CHRIST!!!

Frank has been at it again...................... where do you get these customers? Are you knocking on their door looking for work??

Andy

JESUS H CHRIST!!!

Frank has been at it again...................... where do you get these customers? Are you knocking on their door looking for work??

Andy

Actually I think I get the Wally of the week award this week. I actually failed to screw a lightbulb in. I swear it wouldn't go in but the other half just screwed it straight in. I can't believe I've just admitted that.

There are times when I just love this forum. Thanks for the laugh, Andy :):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

BTW, are you trying to say that there are some jobs best just passing on, like this one?

Reminds me a bit of a car sos program I watched, the team picked up what can only be described as a car shaped lump of rust. By the time it was "restored" the only original bit was the roof. :D

Cut your losses, scrap that pile of carp.
Make a decent base support frame from 3x2 or 3x3 treated timber, level up on mortar mix with dpc between that and the timber.
Buy a new shed, 6 x 4 aren't that expensive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back