Fixing up an old shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to fix up this old shed..

I think the side has had leaves pile up from the trees, the bottom tongue and groove panel is totally rotten. The one above probably needs replacing too. They sell some the right size at B&Q?

Inside the ceiling is all black - but doesn't seem rotten, but parts of the floor are black and rotten. I think the wood it is sitting on, the worst side is rotten..

Thoughts??

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
I've repaired worse. Strip it down and see what's really rotten, and replace the panels as you rebuild. Fit new roof felt, and you should be fine. Oh, and treat or paint everything as you go - edges don't get done if you do it afterwards.

Sponsored Links
first thing to do is dismantle it and work out whats rotten
if worth fixing you need to raise off the ground at least 2" to separate wood from ground for a lasting repair

Hi guys,

Money is a bit tight so I want to repair at the moment.

How exactly would I dismantle it? And raise it off the ground?

Thanks in advance!

what tools do you have
jigsaw hammer screwdriver square are the absolute basic but a mitre saw will improve apearence off the cut ends
you probably talking around 100-£150 including decent quality felt and timber

You need to work out whether it's been screwed or nailed together. If screwed, they might have rusted, and need a hacksaw blade in the gap, but if nails, then a crowbar should get them apart. Take the felt off, then the roof boards, then the side panels, then come back with pictures of the base and any damage to the panels. You can use car body filler for repairs to any damage.

So how come you're got all these tools, and no know how; well you will have after this little project.

Might sound obvious but check out Gumtree for roofing felt and go to a local timber yard instead of places like Homebase.

I inherited a 6x10 shed with a completely rotted roof. I replaced the roof with 18mm ply, supported by a new beam, and got 6 rolls of really decent felt (6mm thick) at a good price. The panels were joined with rusted nails which were a pain to remove, but once gone I replaced with 80mm wood screws.

I can only speak from personal experience, but I've found the wood yards to be a bit more 'down to earth' if you're honest with them about costs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back