What's causing this central heating problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone.

Problem related to boiler/radiators

Symptoms:
* Radiator in top (3F) cold
* Radiator in 3F and 2F leaking water + orange fluid
* Boiler pressure at 40PSI/2.8Bar
* Leaking from overflow pump outside door

Setup
* Megaflow Heatrae Sadia tank
* Potterton Suprima 60L Boiler
* Grundfos Pump
* Installed new with house 5 years ago

Have already
* Drained radiators and refilled to remove air
* Bled radiators

But symptoms persist

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
top rad could be locksheild closed/trv prob.
is filling loop being left open? you only need 1-2 bar pressure in system. it will drip from prv approaching 3 bar. or could be expansion vessel fault/blockage. :rolleyes:

orange fluid sounds like rust in the water. repair leaks or possibly renew affected rads if necessary.

Sponsored Links
with hose on a system drain cock. turn off system. make sure filling loop is closed. [could be letting by] :LOL:

Thanks Paulybaby...

Previously I turned off system and opened the PRV with lowest hot tap open in the house until water drained out then refilled tank. When I did this, the pressure came right back up to 40PSI when tank reloaded. However, I didn't turn off the filling loop when doing this.

Are you talking about something else?

Apologies for sounding dumb!

GB

Sounds like you have been draining the Megaflo?

You need to drain the heating system slightly. A drain cock will probably be under a downstairs radiator, or built into the lockshield on one of these.

Sounds like you need a proper flush to remove the rust. Probably never installed correctly, like most new builds, house basher couldn't be bothered to add inhibitor most like :rolleyes:

Sounds like you have been draining the Megaflo?

You're right there! :)

You need to drain the heating system slightly. A drain cock will probably be under a downstairs radiator, or built into the lockshield on one of these.

OK I have found the drain cock - assuming it's the run off under the radiator.

I'll attach a hose and jubilee clip to it and open up the cock.

* Do I need to open any radiators upstairs somewhere otherwise it seems water won't run out?
* Is there anything I should do to prevent newbie disaster?

[/quote]

open drain off slightly till you hear/feel water trickle. look at pressure gauge on boiler/system. pressure should fall. dont open any rad vents.relax. deep breaths. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back