whats going to become of part P in a few years?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bet is it'll just continue being widely ignored, when the sellers pack comes into play, if you have ignored part P, then you'll have to get a PIR to put in it before selling, instead of just the last PIR and any part P certificates (or whatever you get from building control when you notify them).

In my mind compulsory PIRs at the time of sale would been the ideal solution, not part P, then any prospective owners would know what sort of a shape its in, and probably work from that for a rough guess of amount of money needing to be spent.

(sorry for yet another PP thread :LOL: )

Sponsored Links
What happens has already been decided. An accredited surveyor will write a Home Condition Report. Surveyors are being trained now.
It will include a visual inspection of the electrics, which will only be a very minor part of the report.

No work in it for electricians!

I hope it's a raging success - at least in terms of getting sparkies, and especially "ancillary" sparkies (e.g. kitchen fitters, plumbers etc) to sign up to the schemes, as that was what NICEIC etc wanted.

What I'd hate to see is for it to be such a failure that they start lobbying for even tighter regulations - e.g. the actual banning of DIY work, enforced by restrictions on who can buy materials.

Prohibition ... There's a thought ... By that time drugs will probably be legal though so none of us will care :)
They could do it by stealth like the motor trade. How many DIY'ers are able to repair their own car engine nowadays? You open the bonnet and the thing growls obscenities at you unless you possess £500K's worth of diagnostic kit ;)
I've always thought that Part P and also to some degree Corgi registration for gas pipers (both being good ideas) would be unforceable and either transform into something more pragmatic or be largely ignored/worked around.

Sponsored Links
Just been on an NICEIC inspection and testing course with a mate (who like me is a general builder/ handyman) and 9 other full time sparks.

There was only 3 people who had done a regs course (so could sign off test certs as being up to the 16th edition). My mate, myself and one of the sparks , all the others were working to old regs (some VERY old!!)

I think that part P is a good thing, its painfull to start with but it should mean that all sparks should test and certify every job they do. Ok so it will make it a bit more expensive, but how can you install a system without testing it?!?

Which is what all the sparks on the course were doing, just whacking in a plug socket tester and walking away.

Not having a dig at all, in fact quite the opposite I think its hugely important for people to work to standards and test to ensure those standards are met.

I've probably paid out £2500 so far, on test equip, regs course, inspection course e.t.c and I'm not an electrician, but will be signing up to the domestic installers scheme in the near future, I'm even tempted to go back to college to do qualify as an electrician because I like the work.

I don't think its going to make a difference generally with cowboys who will just carry on regardless (filling certs out in a van with no testing to be seen) but in an ideal world is will cut down those numbers.

Kev

Same as everything else with UK house purchases - the particulars will just say things like "Not Tested", "Not Inspected" etc, Estate Agents and conveyors will prob not even care (never ever been asked about Corgi or gas services)

Perhaps the only area effected may be buy to let - elec version of the landlords gas safety cert??

Like mostUK rules/regs it will tail off and go out of fashion over time - if this is good or bad is I guess the subject of a whole debate in itself

:)

If we require a system which is proven to be safe and robust, take a leaf out of the aircraft industy's books.
Experienced and qualified engineers specify scope of work to be undertaken. Far more junior and inexperienced people actually do the work where it's appropriate and then the experienced and qualified chaps check, test and certify it meets the required QA standards. If the kite crashes the person who has signed off the work goes to jail and only maybe (but not usually unless wilful neglect can be proven) the monkey who did it.
Aircraft systems (Airframe/Propulsion/Avionics/Electrics etc etc) are of an order of magnitude more complicated than domestic electrics with far more stringent regulations but the industry has a remarkably good safety record ... Self-certification of work ain't the answer IMHO and is open to all manner of abuse. Let's wait for the inevitable litigation "test cases" to see what self-certifcation actually counts for ... My guess is it will have the same status as the MOT Certificate i.e. If the vehicle is a death trap and crashes 1 day after the MOT is carries out, the tester ain't liable cos it was "fine when it was tested"

That's all very well megawatt, but many electricians are one man bands or don't employ a lot of staff, so the designer/supervisor idea won't work. Also, if they mess up, that's their livelihood gone, and I suspect that those who have gone to the bother of getting their part P so they can self certify are those who will be the most thorough!
SB
:D

I hope you're right as it's certainly better than where we are right now ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back