What's likely to be causing this leak? Photos included.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Woke up this morning to find that our patch of mould on the bedroom chimney brest wall (been there for ages) had turned into drips of water.
pict0507uv0.jpg

I went into the loft and noticed some wet horizontal pieces of wood by the chimney brest.

pict0498kq5.jpg

pict0499go2.jpg

I've rigged up a bit of guttering to catch the drops and feed them into the cavity, not ideal but better than the plaster coming off the wall.

From the look of the photos can anyone diagnose the likely problem? It's a 30's house with a tiled roof. Can't see that part of the roof from the ground outside, but it was really windy last night so something may have moved.

Thanks for reading.

Sponsored Links
either the chimney back gutter is shot or there are tiles broken or missing near to this point.

either the chimney back gutter is shot or there are tiles broken or missing near to this point.

Thanks. I'll atleast have a clue what to talk about when I phone round on Monday now.

What's likely to be the financial damage do you reckon?

What's likely to be the financial damage do you reckon?

it will depend upon access and who is forming the backgutter.

even if there was a scaffold there already i would expect to pay over £250.

a repair job will cost less if the existing lead is not badly damaged.

if it just missing tiles and can be done off a ladder, then maybe less than £100.

Sponsored Links
Hi. In support of other post it is almost certain to be the back gutter or associated cover flashing. I make a living out of lead sheet work and as i am sure others will agree some roofer are better than other at chimney lead work, so when ringing round gauge the experience of those you approach before committing yourself. Good Luck

Yes, it was the chimney brest back gutter. £160 to be replaced with new lead. The guy spent all afternoon doing it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back