Whats the best way of fitting a hand rail?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I 've got to fit a handrail on my stair well.
1. My idea was to fit the brackets to the handrail (3 posns)
2. mark the wall with a measurement (whats the standard?)perpendicular from the stairs so the line is the same angle as the stairs.
3. Line the centre of the brackets with the marked line on the wall and mark the holes in the bracket on the wall.
4. Drill and plug the wall and screw brackets (fixed to handrail) to the wall

OR

1. Fit a planed wooden batten 2/3" wide x 1/2" thick to the wall at the stair angle.
2. Fit the brackets to the handrail
3. Screw the brackets with handrail to batten

Any good? or is there a better idea

Sponsored Links
use a length of 4x1"[20x44mm] planed [wall plate]cut the corners at the ends to 45% so you have half a octigon at either end [3 equal edges between top and bottom]

router a moulding around the face edge or champher

fix the handrail to the plate positioning the top 3 or 4 inches higher so when the handrail is at the correct angle everything lines up

brackets 6" from each end and spaced 24 to 34"

if a stud wall locate studs and secure to the studs
if your unlucky to have a stud where a bracket is temporeraly remove the bracket to affix to stud

the first method is more discreet but carries risks. you will only have a limited opportunity for the plugs and screws to be successful. if you happen to hit a weak perp, on say two of the three fixing points then relocation of the bracket and some filling may be necessary.

the second method affords you more freedom when fixing both the support plate and the actual brackets and will distribute the weight better - hence stronger.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back