whats the diffence between core drill & a percussion dri

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have had a new flat roof, as part of building regs I have had to fit 70mm diameter core vents between the joists..i.e. drill through the facia board & fit the plastic vents.
Heres my dilema, having done about 10 vents so far, I have nearly broke my wrists because my drill spun round. On speaking to someone they say make sure you buy a drill with a safety clutch & this won't happen.
So great advice, checking online at B & Q & others I see differnt types of drills, What type do I need? core or percussion & wots the difference, would go for a cordless but doubt the battery would last it's charge for another 29 - 70mm dia holes so will go with an electric .
Any advice greatly appreciated

Thanks in Advance

Sponsored Links
define "core" in this context..
what material are the facias?

core drills are for drilling big holes in brick, block or concrete walls, not wood or plastic facias..

you don't want percussion.. that's for masonary drill bits, not core drill bits..

That extension is going to look like the Titanic with all those round holes in the fascia

Why didn't you fit a strip vent in a narrow soffit?

You just need a normal drill and a hole saw. A good cordless with a couple of batteries will do. Corded drills and ladders and heights don't tend to mix well

Sponsored Links
^woody^";p="1334135 said:
That extension is going to look like the Titanic with all those round holes in the fascia

/quote]

:LOL: :LOL:

you don't need a core drill, any decent sds drill will have a clutch in it, buy the shank adaptor and insert your current holesaw.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back