Keyless Chuck or Keyed Chuck for Percussion Drill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The chuck on my dewalt Percussion has had it after 13 months with very little use. I have always had problems trying to tighten the chuck because the chuck key doesn't meet the teeth of the chuck very well.

Because of this the inside 3 bit clamps have wore away due the drill bits slipping.

Anyhow, I need to replace the chuck and I see I can get a keyless chuck instead of the keyed chuck.

What are your thoughts on what to get. The keyless chuck would be handy but I do wonder if there is a reason why Percussion drill come with a keyed chuck as standard. Is it to do with no being able to tighten large drill bits like 20mm etc but with the keyed chuck, you can tighten as tight as you can tighten.

Cheers for any advice you can offer.

Sponsored Links
"percussion" drills are useless.. get a decent SDS drill and a chuck adaptor..

Yes that maybe true but I need the chuck replaced on this rather than bin it.

Sponsored Links
I think keyless chucks are a waste of time, and next time buy a bosch drill

I thought I was buying quality when I bought a dewalt or even if it was a makita and now it seems bosch is in control.

I've got a Bosch with a keyless chuck and that's a cr@p chuck as well. I'd rather have a key chuck.

Our blue bosch had a new chuck after a year :confused: Keyless junk!

Cordless drill, keyless is ideal.
Mains drill, keyed, every time for me.

I have ordered a new keyed chuck and key.

The key never really seemed to fit the chuck from the day I got it. Its like the key was just a tad small and couldn't catch the teeth of the chuck so hopefully this new chuck and key will do the business.

You done the right thing, most keyless chucks will undo when using the percussion.

The problem with keyless chucks on hammer drills are that most of the power tool manufacturers don't spend enough on the chuck. Rohm and Jacobs both have hammer action good locking chucks available but expect to spend about £20.00. On the other hand I would be the first to agree that a good quality keyed chuck will give you the same grip for less money. It's really a choice of ease of of use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back