Need New Corded Power Drill...but which one?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have about £50-100 to spend but that just opens a wide range that is mind boggling. I want a good all round drill for wood, masonary , metal etc. Not SDS...and the tricky bit is finding one with a keyed chuck. I'm getting fed up with spinning drill bits in keyless chucks....

Also is there any difference bewteen percussion and impact drills

Any help appreciated as this is really doing my head in.....

Sponsored Links
Like many others, I favour the Bosch blue range of tools, especially when it comes to drills.

Something like this would suit you very well; if you don't like the keyless chuck, you can remove it and fit a good quality keyed chuck with the same thread.

However, for drilling masonry you really should invest in an SDS drill.

I didn't realise you could swap the chuck over on an SDS drill. If thats the case then to option to chisel with SDS would be a bonus. Have to buy a few SDS bits of course. Most of the stuff I do...lots of DIY...is the usual so a normal drill would do...but can I see the benefit of having an SDS

Sponsored Links
for the money, bosch blue sds.

buy one once every 25 years.

they are indestructible.

if you saw what we do with ours then you would appreciate the amount of stick they can take. ;)

Wow...thanks guys....

Great links as well....I have a 300watt Bosch drill that has done the job for a few years now...and will probably last quite a few more being Bosch but I need something with a bit more umph!

Its a bit underpowered....so I appreciate the Bosch and Makita links....buy once is my rule, when I can.

Thats the three, arguably, top makes I have to choose from now.....Bosch, Makita, Hitachi.

I'm gonna have fun picking one out....

Thanks again guys

Thats the three, arguably, top makes I have to choose from now.....Bosch, Makita, Hitachi.

I'm gonna have fun picking one out....

Thanks again guys

The Hitachi is great quality and has a keyed chuck. They are also nice to hold and look good - I held a one in Wickes.

It is a percussion drill too and can be used as a drill/driver when you know how to. See the other thread on this. But as been said you really need an SDS for drilling in masonry. Look at the Wickes SDS drill, rebadged and made by Kress in Germany. Better than a Makita.

Do you mean this one

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Corded/700W-SDS-Plus-Pneumatic-Hammer-Drill/invt/167243

I looked at this yesterday in my local store. It has a nice feel to it and good balance, if I lost my Makita I would seriously consider one of these, it might be a bit unweildly for the OP when it comes to woodwork etc.

There is also this one:
http://tinyurl.com/3yuae5

£99. Sometimes is goes for £80 or £90 depending on deals and sales.

Both models are very good. They have been made for the past 10 years at least. As time went on they ironed out any problems. Kress a quality German maker.

It is an SDS so not 100% designed for woodwork. Well not quite, I have used SDS drills for all sorts of things. The low speed, high torque was superb driving in 6 inch screws - make sure the screws are greased or it may snap off the heads. The screws laughed at battery drills. SDS is great for light chiselling as well. They are an essential tool. How I did without one previously....

This and the Hitachi mains drill will do most of what you will want for drill/driving. If for DIY or light trade and you always have mains power then these two drills will do the lot.

For light work...rawplugs, wood, screws, brain surgery etc I have a Bosch cordless 12v jobby which lasts a fair while on a charge and I have a spare battery. The SDS would be ideal for all other jobs and again, I very much appreciate everyones advice.

A number of the suggestions are more suitable for the more serious, professional but the principal of buy quality still makes the top range drills the best investment. I do a lot of DIY but not every week. With that in mind I spotted this Bosch PBH 2200RE...with free chisel and drill set @ £89 which is a good compromise between all the suggestions

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-rotar...sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=diytools&qid=1206535476&sr=8-1

As you can see its the "green" range but for my needs it should be fine. To be honest I wouldn't have spotted it if you guys hadn't got me thinking about the whole thing a lot more....so thanks again.

Yep, I spotted that one. Its not as powerful...1.5joule impact force as against 2 joules in the PBH2200.

The PBH3000 seems to be the "new" PBH2200...but more expensive

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back