New corded 240v drill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My old Makita gave up the ghost and I need a new corded drill, mainly for around a mechanical type workshop. I have 2 pedestal drills, one is 4MT, and a cordless. I THINK I want a 2 speed, variable speed, 1/2" - 13mm minimum keyless chuck, hammer drill. I don't think I need SDS (unless anyone can persuade me I do) and in any case I would have to buy new bits unless I bought a chuck adapter.

I did try to search the Forum but couldn't find the advice I was looking for. Can anyone tell me what make/model I should be looking for and any other things that I should consider ?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
You won't buy a better all rounder workshop drill than the German made Metabo BE1100.
Ticks all the boxes. Superb ergonomics.
And they fit a decent length cord and high leverage side handle.
Has a very smooth electronic speed operation.

I've used mine to drill 20mm steel which is not for the softies.

If you need to drill concrete or masonry always buy a separate dedicated sds drill.

Good demo here....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fHl1U1aS8g
OK you might not know what he is saying.
:LOL:
But quality tools like that always speak for themselves imo.

bosch blue sds ;)
then get a chuck adapter and you can use your old bits.

No accuracy with bosch sds and no variable speed.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the replies but I have been out today looking at drills and I might have a problem with SDS. When you fit a chuck adapter to them in order to utilise existing bits you lengthen the drill and since we are sometimes drilling in confined spaces inside machines this might occasionally be an issue.

I think my best way forward is to buy an ordinary hammer drill for the odd bit of masonry etc. but to hire an SDS if we suddenly find that we have lots of that sort of work, chiselling etc.

One thing I have decided is that I want a 2-speed drill that also has variable speed and I haven't found one yet that isn't SDS. Any ideas please ?

Thanks again.

The one I mentioned above is two speed with electronic variable speed (not inaccurate trigger operation!) and isn't sds.
And unlike most has no loss of torque when adjusted down.

Impact hammer drills are useless. That's why metabo doesn't make them any more.
No such thing as a precision sds drill.

No accuracy with bosch sds and no variable speed.

really?
the 2 ive owned in the last 20 years must have been shoite then, :LOL:

op you are correct about adding a chuck making it longer,but in all honesty i cant say ive ever had this problem.and if i did need to drill into a small area where length is a problem,then my thinking my cordless will be man enough to do the job.

op you are correct about adding a chuck making it longer,but in all honesty i cant say ive ever had this problem.and if i did need to drill into a small area where length is a problem,then my thinking my cordless will be man enough to do the job.

Yes, you may be right about that. My problem is that my cordless is not really one of the small professional jobbies, it is in itself quite a big drill. My concern about making an SDS into a longer drill is that sometimes we have to climb inside things like combines and then size is everything as they say. ;)

ah ha,theres the crutch of the problem then. :LOL: :LOL:

maybe invest in a decent cordless with a slim body.

NORCON. I have an apology to make. I was going to answer your post but clicked on Ignore instead of Quote and although I have "un-ignored" you now I have lost your inputs to my topic. I'm sorry about that. A mistake on my part. Cold you tell me what your drill was please ? A Metabo I think you said.

Many thanks.

What are you doing inside a combine?

Metabo BE1100.

If your in a work shop then stick with corded and directly chucked.

What are you doing inside a combine?

Metabo BE1100.

Sorry, I just realised that I didn't answer your question. Recently had to drill and pop rivet the curtain that slows the straw down after it has come out of the drum. Conventional walker machine so it's bad enough with all the spikes on the walkers without having to drag a cord along there as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back