whats the latest in lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
i have been ask to update lighting for a friend of a friend so to speak and lighting is not really my bag its for a domestic kitchen and they want to get rid of sharp shadows in the kitchen so what should they be lookin at for plenty of light without shadow casts and whats the most energy efficient these days
Mac

Sponsored Links
The last one is easy - low pressure sodium.

(Runs and hides..... :LOL: )

For new technology look into dielectric barrier discharge lighting, e.g. Osram's Planon, and if you can get them to answer questions about actual product availability in the UK then please post the results here.

The Thorn Baseled light looks like it might actually be a workable LED light.

Cold-cathode tubes can be an effective way to implement low-profile indirect lighting, or edge-lighting of translucent acrylic splashbacks etc.

For more conventional solutions look at large-format (2-D, PL etc) recessed/flush/low-profile ceiling luminaires with dimmable HF control gear.

And there's still a lot to be said for a run of T4 fittings behind a pelmet under all the wall cupboards.

Just avoid at all costs the idea of peppering the ceiling with loads of holes to take 2" diameter torches...

And there's still a lot to be said for a run of T4 fittings behind a pelmet under all the wall cupboards.

BAS you forgot to say the ladies love plinth lighting!!!!! :rolleyes:

Get your router out, cut a groove in the underside of the front edge of the worktops, insert a thin LED ropelight.

Or in a few years time, buy some OLED paint for the ceiling.

Sponsored Links
Get your head out of the clouds Ban. Stop sugesting things that are too expensive / not available in the UK / yet, knowing full well people come here for budget solutions. If people want expensive solutions they would consult a professional in real life.

Get your head out of the clouds Ban. Stop sugesting things that are too expensive
How much is OLED paint?

/ not available in the UK / yet,
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

knowing full well people come here for budget solutions.
my wiring of circuits is sound as I have about £10K worth of home cinema kit relying on my electrical skills.

If people want expensive solutions they would consult a professional in real life.
Are 2D/PL/T4 luminaires expensive, then?

Get your head out of the clouds Ban. Stop sugesting things that are too expensive
How much is OLED paint?
I have no idea. Perhaps you could find out for me. Or was that one of your sarcastic questions that there is no answer to because it ISNT available?

/ not available in the UK / yet,
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
He wants something NOW. Not in 10 years time!

knowing full well people come here for budget solutions.
my wiring of circuits is sound as I have about £10K worth of home cinema kit relying on my electrical skills.
Well, in that case he can afford a lighting designer to design a realistic solution, as I said before.

If people want expensive solutions they would consult a professional in real life.
Are 2D/PL/T4 luminaires expensive, then?
No, my reference to spending money was to the cost of a lighting designer.

I have no idea.
So why did you criticise it as an expensive solution?

He wants something NOW. Not in 10 years time!
Is OLED paint 10 years away?

Maybe if he finds he really wants something that will be available soon (not necessarily OLED paint - could be ESL lamps) he'll stick with what he has or plonk a couple of pop-packs up as a cheap interim solution.

Well, in that case he can afford a lighting designer to design a realistic solution, as I said before.
Nobody is preventing him from doing that as well, but if he does he should be cautioned that lots of so-called designers "serving" the domestic market know SFA apart from how many dozens of MR16 fittings you'll need and which pointless home automation product gets them the biggest commission.

So 2D/PL/T4 luminaires are not expensive then?

Maybe if he finds he really wants something that will be available soon (not necessarily OLED paint - could be ESL lamps) he'll stick with what he has or plonk a couple of pop-packs up as a cheap interim solution.
pop-packs? You mean those cheap n nasty humming flourys? Would you have them in your kitchen? (Actually you probably would, but most people wouldnt due to noise/flickering/unsightly fitting)

Nobody is preventing him from doing that as well, but if he does he should be cautioned that lots of so-called designers "serving" the domestic market know SFA apart from how many dozens of MR16 fittings you'll need and which pointless home automation product gets them the biggest commission.
Point taken.

So 2D/PL/T4 luminaires are not expensive then?
as well as these solutions said:
. . . dielectric barrier discharge lighting, e.g. Osram's Planon . . . The Thorn Baseled light
These ARE expensive. 2D and PL and T4 lights are not. I agree there.

pop-packs? You mean those cheap n nasty humming flourys? Would you have them in your kitchen? (Actually you probably would, but most people wouldnt due to noise/flickering/unsightly fitting)

I've got two pop packs in my kitchen. One is HF the other is switch start and they both work a treat. :D

as well as these solutions said:
. . . dielectric barrier discharge lighting, e.g. Osram's Planon . . . The Thorn Baseled light
These ARE expensive. 2D and PL and T4 lights are not. I agree there.
So you think that people should only ever be told about cheap solutions, and never also given information about alternatives which might cost a bit more but which they might prefer because of their form or function?

You think that people should never be shown a choice?

Get your head out of the clouds Ban. Stop sugesting things that are too expensive / not available in the UK / yet, knowing full well people come here for budget solutions. If people want expensive solutions they would consult a professional in real life.
FYI - this is from a post made about a year ago:

Clearly that guy didn't think that cold-cathode was a too-expensive-head-in-the-clouds idea for kitchen lighting.

I have to agree with the comment on designers I will give you an example of these cretins. I do a lot of work for a local spa resort and they are currently upgrading some bathrooms they got in a designer who put together a package with the owners agreement the stuuff arrives and the local plumber chappie gets to work mounts the basin fits the stand, taps drains etc turns on the tap and half the output from the tap hits the back flat of the basin, the bit where the soap an stuff goes result soaking floor, cost of the hardware £1000 a set, Hotel opens in couple of weeks for the Easter break, time to sort out the mess 3 months, solution £60 sink and stand sets from basins r us
these poeple are best on telly where we can all get a laugh at them
Mac

almost forgot all I wanted was an idea for a kitchen that didn't throw shadows energy effective and quite presenable
Mac

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back