What's the point of a gutter based roof valley?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guttering should be peripheral to a roof not plumb in the centre.
Guttering leaks ( have you seen the amount of work and cost required to replace it? ) Overflows and more than anything else breaks the continuity of the roofing felt. Most houses with plain tiles have after a period of time cracked and slipped tiles, but no one worries because the roofing felt takes the leaks away to the true guttering. Not so with a roof valley gutter, there it leaks into the house straight away ( together with any leakage from corrosion holes. )
Want I want to do, as a DIY project, is to remove the gutter insert a piece of felt , extend the battens and place on them corner tiles. Where there is a mismatch with existing tiles then either suitably cut spacer tiles can be used or the existing tiles cut to size.
Has anyone done this ? How practical is it?

Sponsored Links
Are you trying to remove a valley from an 'M' type roof?

I'm suffering big-time at the moment from leaking valley issues, but to re-design and take out the valley completely ain't a DIY project!

Like Tony, I'm not sure what you've got in mind.

Even taking out finlocks usually results in raising the roof, or lowering the top of the masonry.

I'm just saying that gutter type valleys are damned stupid and are only there to give roofing contractors a steady income.
Every 10 or so years the guttering like all guttering deteriorates and what is a minor drip outside become a disaster inside.
Of course you call ring the roofing contractors -up with the scaffold, number and remove adjacent tiles, new gutter, replace and make good - hefty bill and bang goes your exotic holiday for this year.
But more than anything else the secondary line of defence ( and long term the only line of defence ) the roofing felt has a discontinuity at the valley which is where the water is of course gushing down. There is no secondary defence.
The whole system stinks and a way of replacing gutters with tiles is vital. Don't believe me? Ask your neighbours who have tiles instead of a gutter if they have the problems you have!

Sponsored Links
the roofing felt has a discontinuity at the valley which is where the water is of course gushing down. There is no secondary defence.
The whole system stinks

What is this all about??!!

Most pitched roofs have valleys somewhere.

Working on a valley is not a DIY job. Perhaps your exotic holiday is more important to you than maintaining your house?

OP,

a pic of the gutter, or a reference to a googled pic, would help your question forward.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back