What's the score with plywood these days?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.

What's the score with plywood now? I was amazed to see that WBP now seems to be scarce or unavailable, it used to be my go to product for all sorts of lining applications where water might be involved and now I can't find any. I need to line a shed after insulating it and I thought I'd use WBP but....is this for environmental reasons or something? What should I use?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
It is still available - loads of it still used in the building trade for flooring, etc. (we have four 2.5 tonne packs arriving tomorrow). Almost any trade outlet should be able to supply. B & Q and the like are different. Somehow I doubt that many of their staff know what WBP stands for.

It is still available - loads of it still used in the building trade for flooring, etc. (we have four 2.5 tonne packs arriving tomorrow). Almost any trade outlet should be able to supply. B & Q and the like are different. Somehow I doubt that many of their staff know what WBP stands for.

Many thanks for your reply, much appreciated. So far I've checked with my local timber/building yard and all the DIY chains and none of them stock the stuff (WBP I mean). I've just been told that WBP referred to the glue and not the wood anyway and that now I need to look at the BS numbers. I've been told that I might be best off going for a softwood as that is stronger, rated for structural use (what does that mean anyway), but that I'll need to seal it with something.

WBP stands for Weather and Boiling Proof, which means it is weather resistant and the glue is made with resins and very tough.

Sponsored Links
If it's for lining a shed (ie inside) I would probably ask them what's currently the cheapest?

BTW, I used some supposed WBP ply from b&q (someone else bought it), and it was knacked within a year or two

I find B&Q boards tend to be warped because they don't store them flat. They are stood on edge in racking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back