What's the 'Strain' hole template for on celing rose?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone know what the hole labled strain is for on a ceiling light rose? Would I get away with screwing my light fitting into it to hold it up? Kinda sounds like what it might be for but would like to double check what it's actually for first.

Cheers guys.

Sponsored Links
it's to take the weight of the flex on which the pendant and shade hang.

I've possibly got my termanologies mixed up, I was thinking of attaching my light fitting to the hold marked strain seen here, but wasn't sure if it had a specific purpose and isn't a good idea to do so. As it happens the screw hole in the light fitting lines up perfectly with it.

Attachments

• 20160714_160058.jpg
    20160714_160058.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 336
Sponsored Links
There's no hole as such and it is not intended to be "screwed through".

Chances are there would be nothing behind it for the screw to get purchase on anyway.

Need a picture of your fitting. Usually, you remove the rose when replacing the fitting.

I have never noticed this before and can't think what it means.

Is it printed in the wrong place and supposed to be by the wire support tags?

Usually it is by the lugs that you hook the cores round. The one in the pic looks odd.

Is that not what those little nubs of plastic next to the N and SL terminals are? They're in an odd place but look like that's what they are

That's an Ashley rose, fitted loads of them!

The lugs to support the flex cores are at either end of the terminal block assy.

Your first answer tells you
it's to take the weight of the flex on which the pendant and shade hang.
The legend "strain" is really in the wrong place. You loop the cables round the lugs as detailed in the posts above.

A bit like this one
light_loop_in.jpg

Or, in the case of the OP's rose (and which hasn't been done), round the lugs which are at the ends of the terminal strip.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back