Whats this hole in the wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my house, in the bathroom, there Is a hole in the wall, that when I bought the house had a grill over it.

Now I have reason to belive it used to be a bedroom before a concrete floor was layed and then made into bathroom. and there is only two rooms at that side of the house, and there is two chimneys on that side.

The hole tho, is not where a fire place would be, its about three of 4 foot up and does not go to the bottom.

I know its got something to do with the chimney but what Im not sure, and being a 100 year old house I dont want to block things up without being sure they will be ok, but also dont want a big hole in the wall where my toilet is.

View in hole looking down

View in hole looking up

Sponsored Links
I'm assuming a downstairs room as it's a concrete floor in a house of that age. (No beam and block then!)

Given the era it was built, is it possible there was a stove or Aga type appliance there in the past, the enamel flue may have come up from the stove before bending 45deg to go into the chimney?

Sponsored Links
I'm assuming a downstairs room as it's a concrete floor in a house of that age. (No beam and block then!)

Given the era it was built, is it possible there was a stove or Aga type appliance there in the past, the enamel flue may have come up from the stove before bending 45deg to go into the chimney?

You know what. I think that's spot on. Concrete floor is possibly original and that would have been the kitchen! As the kitchen is now located in an extension.

I'll stick a smoke bomb in tommorrow and see where it goes. Might need to drill through to outside and core in from there to make sure there's air movement through it in that case

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back