whats up here !!

E

EddieM

Hello tiling pro's thought I'd take a little break away from GD. Right question, this is daft, I am trying to drill through some ceramic tiles, but frankly the 7mm bit is really not having it. I am working away from home so clearly have no access to my own kit, only what I can buy in the local hardware shop. so to do the required, I bought a faithful (brand name) tile bit (it is faithfully awful)

Now i normally use a set of diamond bits on tiles which on slow speed just dig thru, so question is if I have to go to a DIY store what do I look for?

Sponsored Links
go and get a big nail and chip the spot you want to drill (with a hammer obviously) and the drill it with the hammer action off.

be careful as you can overheat the drill bit if you do this too much but for one hole its fine.

I literally have done this many times, even cooled the bit with a glass of water!.

I personally don't believe in "tile bits" as there just as bad as masonry drills for cracking tiles..

oh, keeping the hammer action off stops the tiles cracking also.
just be careful when you break through the tile (the drill may fall forward)..which will crack the tile AFTER your efforts!

whats the poor answer exactly?

I have my chip and nail method for years!

are you telling me you cannot ask the store workers?

A tile bit is what you're looking for? isn't it?

Sponsored Links
whats the poor answer exactly?

I have my chip and nail method for years!

are you telling me you cannot ask the store workers?

A tile bit is what you're looking for? isn't it?

Apologies, that was a really rude reply by me. shame on me. no I have drilled quite a few tiles, and it's always been real easy with the tile bits i've had before.... slow drill speed, no hammer. slow but steady. The bit i bought just seemed... well useless, so I guess the real question is/was are there any makes of bits that you would 1) recommend 2) avoid.

Once again, I really apologise for my dreadful rudeness. (long day, but that's not an acceptable excuse :( )

My vote for those heart shaped drills too, they cut through it like a knife through butter.

Nozzle

sharp sds bit will do the job.slight tap with a nail to mark the glaze then drill it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back