What's wrong?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello to everyone. I am new to this site and I am on the lookout for info.

I recently tried to replace a 'plastic' light fitting in a friend's bathroom with a metal bodied one. The wires in the plastic fitting were both brown,one joined to black(neutral?) side,one joined to red(live?) side in the blocks on the ceiling rose.
I connected the blue terminal from the lamp to the black wire on the ceiling rose and the brown wire from the lamp to the red wire on the ceiling rose and of course earthed the casing. Put the light in,hit the main trip on the fuse box and nothing! The trip would not hold in. checked everything-nothing! However,when I re-installed the original light fitting,hey presto,no problems!!!!

Please help,I am pulling my hair out.

Regards

Taff 1

Sponsored Links
So you didn't remove the ceiling rose or do anything to the wiring coming into it? You just connected the wires from the new light fitting into the places in the rose where the wires from the old light fitting went?

Absolutely not! replaced replced the new fitting just as I said. i'm far from an expert in these matters,but it is definitely the first time this has happened to me. Am I guilty of missing something really obvious?

Which trip is this ?

My first thoughts are a faulty metal fitting, possibly with a leakage to the metal case. Can you disconnect the new fitting and check out the resistance between each wire, and between each and the metal case with a meter ?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back