What's your worse DIY mistake?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
....and be honest!
When we moved into our first house I fitted a diy burglar alarm system. I needed to get a cable from the front door entry/exit switch to the control panel 15 feet away, fitted in the under stairs cupboard. There was one loose floorboard by the front door as that was where the stopcock was and there were a few loose boards in the cupboard under the stairs. My 'idea' to save time, especially as I didn't want to disturb the hall carpet was to tie one end of the cable to the collar of our newly acquired kitten, put it under the floor and get my wife to call it from the hole in the floor of the under stairs cupboard. It nearly made it before it went walkabout, wrapped itself around one of the piers supporting the floor and basically went berserk, flipping about and screaming. The wife was doing the same too so I had no option other than to turn into the Incredible Hulk and basically rip the floor up (as well as the hall AND living room carpest) with whatever I could lay my hands on to save the kitten. I had to buy some new boards and underlay as they were totally destroyed but worse of all my time saving idea cost me the best part of a day in running around finding more underlay and floorboards the same width and thickness of the ones I ripped up. Lesson learned - in future use a fully grown, trained pet and not a stupid youngster when doing such things!

Sponsored Links
OMG! I started reading thinking where is this story going then I read the bit about using the kitten. I laughed so much the wife thought I was having an asthma attack.

Very funny.

Andy

So did you think this idea up all by yourself, or do you remember the article whereby an eletrician has actually trained his cat to do that sort if thing.

Sponsored Links
Doubt it. Apart from my wife and friends, this is the first time I can remember telling this story and I was only reminded of this incident by the wife when we went away to Carcassonne this week and saw a cat kipping on a table with the EXACT same markings as our old cat that lived to the ripe old age of 17!

normal_IMG_1574.JPG

Doubt it. Apart from my wife and friends, this is the first time I can remember telling this story and I was only reminded of this incident by the wife when we went away to Carcassonne this week and saw a cat kipping on a table with the EXACT same markings as our old cat that lived to the ripe old age of 17!

normal_IMG_1574.JPG
Yo! That's the Taverne du Chateau, n'est ce pas? Recognise the logo :cool:
John :)

Probably. We were staying in the hotel du Chateau just outside the castle.

Sure, I've been to Carcassonne a few times - a bit twee maybe but 'er indoors likes a trip round the Cathar castles.
Remember landing on the 'airstrip' in a gale once - thought my end had come :eek:
John :)

17 is not a ripe old age for cats.

Well, I think it is. What’s your opinion of a ripe old age for cats then? Hardly worth a thread revival just because you disagree with a 2 month old post of mine. Get a life mate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back