WHEELIE BIN DANGER

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently returned from A&E department after having the wounds on the back of my hands treated as a result of a fall while pushing wheelie bin down front steps. If you actually think about it, this is a very dangerous challenge . Consider, you are on one step, the bin is on the step below. You have to push the wheelie bin forward to the next step below, before you can occupy the step it did. WHILST YOU ARE PUSHING IT FORWARD, YOU ARE IN VERY UNSTABLE POSITION - lurching forward and when the bin lands on the next step, it lands on WHEELS!

Steps where around a long time before councils introduced wheelie bins. But was safety taken into account? Pushing wheelie bins DOWN steps is undoubtedly not without risk.

Sponsored Links
That sounds nasty.

Have you got anywhere else to store the bins?

I'm sure you'll find it's a lot less hazardous than carrying the same amount of rubbish in a bin bag or old skool metal bin.

Nozzle

Well no (I can barely member metal bins) but at one time the system was to carry black bin bags down the steps, and that was certainly safer - no need to be lurched forward in a precarious position. There were problems however, such as cats cutting through the bags. Thinking on it further, maybe a handrail would help. Maybe it should become the norm that steps over certain height have handrails.

Sponsored Links
See if you can find someone willing to modify the wheels you your bin, so they're like 3 wheels on a tri-star shape (so they kinda look like a clover leaf)

Google for : stair climbing wheels

To see what I mean.

Alternatively, keep/have made, a pair of planks with chocks top and bottom that sit on the step, you place them where the bin wheels will go but leave them separated so you can step down the steps between the planks. T His will make the bin roll smoothly and gradually reducing risk of it getting away from you

Leave the bin at the bottom of the steps and carry bin bags down. Dispose of bags in said wheelie bin. No need to go lugging it up and down at all. Plus side is, you will probably cram more into the bin as you are not going to be moving it.

Down the steps might be the pavement. Liable to attract aggro from the council if one doesn't put a bin away. My neighbours house is arranged thus, they don't use a bin, only bags

to be honest the council in my opinion cannot force you to take up an unsafe practice as in lifting or dropping a bin on stairs
have you thought about asking there suggestion for your situation and maybe they provide a safe level area at street level on your property for your bin to live ??

ynys lochtyn,sorry to hear of your accident.hope your on the road to recovery.

Due to your accident,can you ask your council to revert back to bin bag collection for you ,worked where i lived before.

Do you have a front garden to store your bin ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this just me or has he put his common sense in the bin before wheeling it down the stairs??........ this topic would be at home on the benny hill show... its bleeding obvious what would happen...

Overfilling garden waste bins in another danger. Elderly gentleman nearby almost got crushed to death (he was struggling to breathe) after he filled it with top soil and it then fell back onto him when he tried to push it out.

I'd vote for leaving it at the bottom of the stairs all week. we used to leave our black bin out the front of the house for all to see, rather than drag it through the terraced house.

Sponsored Links
Back