When considering in or out:

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, it wasn't John's comment, it was mine. Quite honestly, if you can't get that bit right, what chance of you getting a bigger picture right?
Come on now, it's easy enough to accidentally mess up a quote when editing a post, especially with multiple quotes, quotes within quotes etc.

Are you really trying to use a small slip-up like that to try and discredit the content of the post? Look at the graph - There are expected dips here and there, but the overall trend is clearly upward.

Sponsored Links
It's interesting to know that the Leave campaign says it would continue with the agribusiness subsidies, so there would be no saving to the UK taxpayer.
Except for removing the whole extra layer of expensive EU bureaucracy from its administration.

the European Parliament votes on issues, but it's the Commission which has to put proposed legislation to parliament.
Let me check how that works.

I'll be the Commission, you be the Parliament.

I propose that PBC pays me a million pounds. How do you vote? Yea or Nay?

Sponsored Links
I'll be the Commission, you be the Parliament.
Fine.

As the European Parliament I'll suggest that the Commission proposes legislation on which I can vote saying that JohnD must pay me a million dollars. Are you obliged to put that proposal in front of Parliament?

It seems that anyone with any sense is saying stay put. Important folks out there are saying it will be a disaster if we leave.
I think we can all agree that with age comes wisdom. The older you are, in general, the more knowledge you have gained of how the world works. Polls show older voters favour Brexit. If I have to trust someone's judgement, I choose the wisdom of crowds. I choose age over youth...

It seems that anyone with any sense is saying stay put. Important folks out there are saying it will be a disaster if we leave.
I think we can all agree that with age comes wisdom. The older you are, in general, the more knowledge you have gained of how the world works. Polls show older voters favour Brexit. If I have to trust someone's judgement, I choose the wisdom of crowds. I choose age over youth...
Yes, The Bank Of England is a rather mature organisation innit. wisdom

Yes, The Bank Of England is a rather mature organisation innit. wisdom

The B of E is, of course, a mature organization. But its present governor, Mark Carney, seems to be in the job just for the money. He has misjudged the course of the economy a number of times, and seems a rather ineffectual yes-man for the government; this compromises the Banks' supposed independence.
The previous governor, Mervyn King, takes the opposite view and is more sanguine about a Brexit. So which of the two governors is right?

'A vote to leave the EU could materially alter the outlook for output and inflation… Households could defer consumption and firms delay investment, lowering labour demand and causing unemployment to rise… Sterling is also likely to depreciate further, perhaps sharply. This combination of influences on demand, supply and the exchange rate could lead to a materially lower path for growth and a notably higher path for inflation…'

This is an extract from the Bank of England's report. Note the use of the word "could" three times, and "likely" and "perhaps" once each - all in the space of three lines. All these 'expert' reports on the financial consequences of Brexit are full of 'ifs,' 'maybes', 'mights' , etc.

Sorry Himmy, although David Cameron is the head of the government, he didn't put the question of whether to stay or leave to the conservative party, he went of to negotiate reforms with the EU, and then admitted that HE wanted to stay in, so, as many MPs want out, it's not really fair to say that it's the Government spending £9m to persuade us to stay in; it is Cameron without a shadow of a doubt.

If we vote leave, immigrants currently working here won't suddenly get kicked out, and the economy wont suddenly fall apart either; there will be upheavals, but we've been through worse, and we'll survive. Food prices will rise as the pound drops, but nothing worse than we've had before. We'll export more with a cheaper pound, and inflation will rise due to the cost of higher imported goods prices. We had interest rates of 15% under John Major, and at every low point or crisis, we survived, and came back stronger, so why are people listening to the doom merchants. The economy always hiccups, and it always recovers, but if we remain in the EU, the only way forward is downwards, because the EU is a flawed project that can't work whilst every country is being forced into a one size fits all scenario.

The young vote to stay in, simply because they've only know Britain in the EU, and they can't see through the lies being peddled, and that's why the older generation are more lively to vote to leave, because they have the experience to read between the lines. And as I've said before, this debate won't change anyone's mind because we're all convinced we're right, but sorry Gerry, I consider myself as important as the doom merchants, and I'm saying leave.

Note the use of the word "could" three times, and "likely" and "perhaps" once each - all in the space of three lines. All these 'expert' reports on the financial consequences of Brexit are full of 'ifs,' 'maybes', 'mights' , etc.
It reminds me of the sort of thing Sir Humphrey would suggest goes in a report, so that when none of it happens they can say, "We didn't say it would happen, only that if could happen."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back