1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

When considering in or out:

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nozzle, 3 May 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Just how anal can you get Himmy, you keep insisting on sources and examples, as though things aren't valid without them. What were you in a previous life, a tax or a health and safety inspector. I'm relating things I've read, and that should be sufficient. This is supposed to be a general discussion, not a point scoring game.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Sorry John, but if you hadn't done a Pavlovian dog whistle response, you'd have realised that I was criticising the Uk govenmernt for not having as much backbone as the French and the Germans, so I fail to see where I'm foreigner bashing.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Himaginn

Himaginn

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    We can all relate stories, fables, tales and myths. But they are and will remain stories, tales, fables and myths without supporting documentation, evidence, or expert analysis, etc.

4. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    Either way, you are imagining that people behave differently according to the country in which they reside, and that Brits are inherently "different" from Them Others.

It remains an absurd prejudice.

There remain as many Elbonian nutters as there are people like you.

Do you know which country makes the biggest net financial contribution? Not UK.

Do you know which country contributes the most, per head? Not UK.

5. EFLImpudence

EFLImpudence

Thanks Received:
    Portugal
    I have amended your quote to that which I think is - unfortunately - the true attitude and the result of our form of brainwashing.

6. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
  7. PBC_1966

PBC_1966

Thanks Received:
    United States
    Of course, because Parliament can refuse to pass legislation proposed by the Commission. That's not what's in dispute.

O.K., so as Parliament I voted against JohnD being paid a million pounds and you don't get the money. But now I ask you, as the Commission, to send back another proposal requiring that you pay me a million. Obviously you wouldn't like the prospect of submitting such a proposal to Parliament and it being passed. But are you obliged to submit the proposal that Parliament has requested?

8. PBC_1966

PBC_1966

Thanks Received:
    United States
    Of course, but you're still ignoring the situation in which Parliament wishes to pass some specific legislation (and it might be legislation which amends or repeals previous legislation), but the rules are that it's the Commission which has to put the proposed legislation before Parliament.

All you've done thus far is point out a rule change some time ago which now officially permits Parliament to "request" or "suggest" legislation to the Commission for the latter to submit to Parliament. What if the Commission does not like the suggested legislation? Is it still obliged to submit it to Parliament - in the form Parliament requested - anyway?

9. Sponsored Links
  10. PBC_1966

PBC_1966

Thanks Received:
    United States
    I mentioned in passing as a possibility. As I said before though, obviously the £12 billion or so saved per year cannot be allocated multiple times, but whichever way you look at it, it's a lot of money to be divided up into savings or support in various areas. Whateveris done with that money, it's money which will be helping the U.K. and not being poured in the EU money-pit.

11. PBC_1966

PBC_1966

Thanks Received:
    United States
    Of course there are. Do you think the EU offices are going to deal directly with every farmer in the U.K., every farmer in France, and so on? Every EU scheme involves bureaucrats at the national levels to administer it. I would imagine that in the U.K. it's some part of DEFRA.

12. PBC_1966

PBC_1966

Thanks Received:
    United States
    Unfortunately, I think that describes the majority of politicians these days.

• Like Like x 1
  13. PBC_1966

PBC_1966

Thanks Received:
    United States
    Why do you and a certain other person always try to twist around anything which is said to try and make out that it's anti-foreigner sentiment?

14. PBC_1966

PBC_1966

Thanks Received:
    United States
    But in some ways it's true that Brits are inherently different from other nationalities (and before you try to make such an implication, no that's not meant to imply that "them others" are all the same, since there are many ways in which the French are inherently different from the Germans, the Italians inherently different from the Dutch, and so on).

Making such an observation does not amount to prejudice against other nationalities, merely a recognition that in some ways each nationality is different.

None of which changes the fact that the U.K. is making a net contribution of about £12 billion per annum or so to this "club."

Last edited: 14 May 2016
  15. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    Please show me the justification for the statement that I commented on.

(prejudice is not justification)

16. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    How sweet, you're using Nigel's made-up numbers again.

Sponsored Links
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.