When considering in or out:

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember much talk by pro Euro sources about how we should join the European currency. What a missed opportunity that wasn't. In a few years time when the EU has collapsed, we'll be glad we were clear of it.

Sponsored Links
Can you show us some links?

I don't remember a big propaganda campaign, like the anti-EU one.

37.5% of the electorate said they wanted all of that, so we have got to let them have their way.
Actually it was 52% of the electorate who could be bothered to get up off their arses and vote that wants to leave the EU... (or actually didn't buy in to Project Fear)

Sponsored Links
Actually it was 52% of the electorate who could be bothered to get up off their arses and vote that wants to leave the EU... (or actually didn't buy in to Project Fear)
It was 37.5% of the electorate.

Try being a union in areas such as health, education, fire or transport, and calling a strike on the basis of a "majority" like that, and see what happens to you.

You can't even stop some trains or buses running for a day with that level of support, and yet you can do something as important as take the country out of the EU? Does that seem reasonable?

Plus, given the way the polls were running, it's more likely that people who didn't want to leave stayed at home than those who wanted a change. I know that can't be quantified or proven, but it seems likely enough for it to be given consideration (as do the anecdotes of people voting to leave when they didn't actually want to leave, but thought it would be a good way to raise 2 fingers to the Government) when deciding if such a tiny majority should be all that is need to take the country out of the EU irrespective of what that turns out to mean.

Have you forgotten that a political leader who you admire (Mr. N. Farage) said that if the result was only 52:48 close that there should be a second referendum?

Last edited:
...in the year 2030...
"We can't go back to the 2000s, because the world has moved on. Technology and the world's systems have moved on."
See how it is? You whole argument begs the question; you can't know that the way things are now is they way they ought always to be. Markets aren't like drugs trials; there is no control group to compare to. We don't know that joining the EU was a better choice than not joining; you just assume it was because you're here, now, living it, and it's 'basically ok'. You don't know that without the EU you wouldn't have become a shoeless crack whore, and neither do you know that you wouldnt have become the next Richard Branson. So it is with Brexit. The IFS cannot make long range economic forecasts anymore than the Met Office can make long range weather forecasts.
We can go by evidence, which points to us being worse off.
We do know the EU was a better choice, owing to this thing called history. This isn't an assumption, its based upon evidence. We look at the trade that is set up, the social programs, the social mobility etc.

You mean people in the EU like to buy our high-value products, but the rest of the world kinda doesn't? Why is that?
People in Papau New Guinea would buy our high value goods at a similar rate that people in the EU would? Really?

The point is that our main markets are EU countries, the US, China and Japan. Why? Because we can compete on high value products. Want to set up trade deals with the rest of the world to increase our access? Great, but trade deals frequently take a long time, and this is one of the reasons that Brexit is causing such unrest. But we would also be at a disadvantage in trade talks, as we are a lot smaller than the EU.

This is one of the reasons why Brexit is such a bad idea. Yes, there maybe the odd instance where we are worse off due to some trade deal, but on average, we are far better off, and this is why only 1 out 14 economists claim we will be better off. One claims a neutral stance, while the rest claim we will be worse off. 12 out 14 economists.

Or are you like Gove, who think we can safely ignore experts?

I also work in manufacturing, and the EU is a burden to us as we mostly export outside it.
And what do you mean by 'access'? Even Papau New Guinea has access to the single market!
See above
Why do you want to make more rules? Kinda sounds like you think rules are a pain, so we might as well be the ones making them, which is a weak argument for any club.
Did you miss the bit where it was pointed out that we would be a rule taker, rather than a rule maker? Not just when we want to trade, but in many cases it will not be worth not following EU's rules in manufacturing standards. And environmental standards don't look to change any time soon (which is probably a good thing given what we were like before IPC)

We live in a global economy, where the big players get the better trade deals. As a member of the EU, we benefit from that arrangement, and the consumer in the UK benefits from cheap goods.
Maybe you're the sort of person who likes lots of taxes, lots of state provision, and rules/intervention. It sounds like it. That's fine.
I'm not like you. I wouldn't like to live in a country where one billionair pays all the tax so the rest can live freely on benefits (the logical extreme of you point above); I'd prefer to live in a country with very low tax and great personal responsibility. That's just me. And it's a purely subjective, emotive attitude; neither of us can use logic or reason to argue how big government ought to be and how much tax is needed.
You like small government? Fine. But Brexit will bring a huge growth in our civil service. We currently have about 439,323. After Brexit, we will have to replace the services that the EU provide (some of which I have listed earlier). This is a huge pointless inefficiency that will be implemented, as it will serve less people.

How many examples of UK government inefficiency do you want?

Budget shortfall, or public overspending?

The NHS will absord as much money as you care to throw at it. On judgement day when the horsemen of the apocalypse come to smite the nations, you'll still be claiming the NHS is underfunded. Here's an idea; Maybe the NHS has enough money already, and it's the people who demand too much?

Here's an idea: Stop. Subsidising. Everything.
You want small government, but what about the provision of the needy? The vulnerable? The protection of the environment? Defence? A developed country is a complex place, but if you really want to see a country overburdened with beaurocracy, look at Switzerland. They envy us for our lack of red tape etc. We have a lot of rules - yes we may drop some, but we are not going to go back to some previous time where you could make goods with a lower standard in safety etc.

The recent problems with the NHS have come about because of Tory mis-management. It needs more money now than it used to years ago, as we are living longer, and we have more advanced treatments.

Last edited:
We can go by evidence, which points to us being worse off.
You have evidence of the future? Wow!

We do know the EU was a better choice, owing to this thing called history.
And which alternative history are you comparing it to?

12 out 14 economists....Or are you like Gove, who think we can safely ignore experts?
Yes. Economists have the same credibility as astrologers and social scientists; they're not dealing with physics but human behaviour and chaos.

Did you miss the bit where it was pointed out that we would be a rule taker, rather than a rule maker?
Don't you trust the EU to make good rules, then? We need to keep them in check?

As a member of the EU, we benefit from that arrangement, and the consumer in the UK benefits from cheap goods.
And how does that trade wall around the free market help us get cheap goods, exactly? Oh, you're being Eurocentric, my mista

After Brexit, we will have to replace the services that the EU provide
Actually we won't have to do anything. That's the point. But we may do, for reasons of expediency, as we see fit.

How many examples of UK government inefficiency do you want?
You want to compare that to EU ineffeciency? Seriously, are you joking?

Switzerland. They envy us for our lack of red tape etc.
Makes a change to see a Remainer claim a European country envies us...

but what about the provision of the needy? The vulnerable?
Those are purely emotive, ethical points, not useful to the argument for EU membership. We can't convince each other to change our ethics.

The recent problems with the NHS have come about because of Tory mis-management. It needs more money now than it used to years ago, as we are living longer, and we have more advanced treatments.
Were you happy with the treatment you received in, say, 1985? It was cheaper... why is that no longer good enough for you? What would be good enough? An extra £350M a week? Or would you grow acustomed to that new standard and so argue for even more the next week? If the problems are thanks to the Tories, why do you look to the EU for the solution?

Last edited:
It is being said that any Conservative government must proceed with Brexit, however bad it is, because to do otherwise would smash their party. Even if the MPs and the electorate think it's a dreadful idea. Party comes before sanity or country.

That explains why Theresa is pushing ahead and surrounding herself with buffoons. With a Tory government in power, she says she will leave even without any treaty.

I have a feeling some kind of alternative is available, I can't quite think what it is.

It is being said that any Conservative government must proceed with Brexit, however bad it is, because to do otherwise would smash their party.
So how come we keep being told it was the 'white working class' who voted to leave? They're mostly Labour voters, aren't they?

So how come we keep being told it was the 'white working class' who voted to leave? They're mostly Labour voters, aren't they?
Yes, and one of the theories is that they've been feeling the squeeze so much they felt like they had nothing to lose by leaving the EU.

So how come we keep being told it was the 'white working class' who voted to leave?

Who told you that?

I can remember hearing it was mostly people around retirement age, and strong support from Daily Mail, Sun and Express readers.

Edit,
Yes, here we are
I'm not sure I'd call DE Social Group "Working Class".

Oh, yes.
And Cornish people who resented receiving huge EU grants.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...dclg-request-down-julian-german-a7603921.html

Last edited:
Why can't we have a referendum on EVERY law to be passed in Parliament?

I think the old system of electing a representative to parliament can now be replaced by giving each & every individual the chance to vote directly.

We could do it online, an app on a phone even.

Which was more than the % of remain voters then? Tell me , what was the electoral percentage of remain voters?
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, and proceed on the basis that you really don't understand.

37.5% is not a large enough number of people to have in favour of such a monumental change for it to just be blindly pursued.

If 37.5% would not be enough to do something as insignificant as stopping tube trains from running for a day how can it possibly be enough to do something as significant as leaving the EU?

Where is your logic? Where is your consistency?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back