1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

When do you know if you need rewiring?

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by veedee, 11 Jun 2019.

1. veedee

veedee

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Just moved into a 1960s house

I plan to do a full renovation including spots lights and potentially one or two additional sockets

However what i want to ask is how do you know whether the property will need rewiring or not?

I'm apprehensive to call an electrician because i am a newbie and surely they have an incentive to say that a rewiring is needed

While the consumer unit appears to have been recently changed over, however shall I assume that the wiring that's probably from the 60s needs to be overhauled?

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Sorry but The only way is to have an electrician carry out a report on the installation.

One cannot “assume” anything, especially with an installation of that age and with a doubtful history.

The report will tell you what, if anything, needs to be done and where the installation differs from today’s regulations.

4. chivers67

chivers67

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You could try posting some photographs up of your Consumer Unit.

If you're able to carefully do the following: behind socket faceplates, a ceiling Rose, a light switch then we can advise a little more. Though really an Electrical condition Report is the way to go for piece of mind.

5. AndyPRK

AndyPRK

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If you want metal lights and light switches you probably need the light circuit rewriting to include cpc

Then you may as well do other items if you start.

6. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Is the house empty? That’s the best time for wiring/ rewiring.

7. veedee

veedee

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi Guys, I have uploaded some pics of the consumer unit. It is metal

Thnaks for the comment.

Desides the downlights which I am sure will have some metal parts, I will be using pendants from ikea, which appear to be made of metal...

However, they do not require any earthing

Will I still need cpc?

Attached Files:

8. veedee

veedee

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Just to confirm, the report I require is the EICR?

Yes, it is

When a property is re-wired, does all the existing cable have to be replaced? Or is it simply advisable to always replace the wiring?

9. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The cables that I can see ( on top of the consumer unit) appear to be fairly modern PVC.
    BUT
    those cables on the top should not be exposed like that. They need attention.

The consumer unit is very recent. There should be an installation certificate that was issued when it was changed. Did you get a copy.

Edit, as above need pics of wiring behind a socket, a switch and a ceiling rose.

10. Sponsored Links
  11. veedee

veedee

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the comment 'Doc'..

Unfortunately, I wont be receiving an installation certificate (assuming there is one) as one of the conditions of sale was that nothing is guaranteed and documentation will not be provided e.g. on windows, electrics, gas work etc. The seller never lived at the property and thus does not know where these docs are if they do exist.

Will grab a pics of the requested ASAP :D

12. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You definitely need a condition report on the electrics then. And the gas installation too!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. flameport

flameport

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    That is the best time to rewire. And before anything else is done.

That is the remains of a Mantel unit which some buffoon has shoehorned an inappropriate modern consumer unit into, leaving single insulated conductors exposed. Unclear what all that white tape is on the wires, but it shouldn't be there either.

Wiring is probably original to the construction, and although it may still be serviceable and could probably be patched up and used for a few more years, the reality is that the installation is at the end of it's useful life.

In that case, assume everything is dangerous and needs to be replaced.
    Hopefully the purchase price was extremely low.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. OwainDIYer

OwainDIYer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. ericmark

ericmark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Reasons to replace wiring.
    1) The insulation is degrading either rubber or cotton will decay over time. Also some plastic cable the plasticizer can leach out, or other material in contact with the cable can cause leaching.
    2) Water ingress, once water has entered mineral insulated cable it is near impossible to remove it again.
    3) Over loading if insulation has melted then needs replacing.
    4) Rodent damage, or other non electrical like sun etc.
    Some faults are found by sight, others using meters, but some you can't tell until cable breaks down, but in the main unless a faulty batch of cable like happened in Austria PVC cable does not tend to degrade with time, and most houses have has additions of different ages so most houses do not need a complete rewire, some bits can be reused.

Main problem is guarantee, you can't guarantee what one has not fitted, no one can be sure there is no nail through the cable which could make a patch of plaster live, it is unlikely, but you can't guarantee it.

Also silly faults, like some one has extended a 4mm² radial using 2.5mm² cable because he thought it was a ring final in error.

So one inspects random parts of the circuit, idea is if 40% shows no faults, then likely rest is OK, but if faults found then really must do 100% and one reaches a stage where it is prudent to simply renew all.

16. chivers67

chivers67

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    This installation needs to be improved whatever you decide. Get three quotes, whereabouts are you town wise?

17. veedee

veedee

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    EICR booked.. I'm in South London.

Thanks for the comment

I've attached just what the Doctor ordered :D:D

Well not really, as admittedly some of the pics aren't great.. But I did the best that I could

@ericmark your comment was very helpful.. Thanks

Attached Files:

Sponsored Links