When do you know if you need rewiring?

Hmm. Looks like old PVC cabling. It’s stranded.
Too much copper showing on the back of that socket, but the socket cabling itself may still be serviceable. Needs properly testing.

No earth in the lighting circuits, so those should be rewired.

Do let us know what your spark reports.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I agree.. I actually meant downlights :cool:
Don’t waste your money on an EICR. It’s rewire time I’m afraid to say.
Really?

I am a newbie to this, but is it really a waste of time getting an EICR?

So I should really ask my electrician who is coming out to undertake an EICR to price me up for a complete rewire instead?

Or do I just let him view the electrics and tell me what is required?

Do you usually pay for any of these services?

I agree.. I actually meant downlights :cool:
I know you did.

downlights
Why?

I am a newbie to this, but is it really a waste of time getting an EICR?
There comes a point when so much needs doing that there is no point in paying someone to tell you that a lot needs doing.

Given the age of the installation (old Imperial sized cables, unearthed lighting circuit) coupled with the inevitable bodges done to it since it was new it's unlikely that it won't need substantially replacing.

Then yiu have to factor in what you want in terms of circuits, lights, sockets, switches etc.

So I should really ask my electrician who is coming out to undertake an EICR to price me up for a complete rewire instead?
Yup.

Or do I just let him view the electrics and tell me what is required?
You also need to tell him what you require in terms of circuits, lights, sockets, switches etc.

Do you usually pay for any of these services?
You shouldn't have to pay for quotes.

Last edited:
So I got a few electricians around and they all said that in order to accurately identify the remedial works necessary, they would need to undertake an EICR

So here's a here is a summary of the advice/recommendations given following the EICR

- All lights and switches have earth cabling. They have simply not been wired into the fittings.

- New ring main is recommended in the kitchen. As this area has the most power demand

- Insulation in cable is good (over 500) and should last 10yrs+

- Currently the living room and upstairs sockets are on a 32A breaker and the electrician recommended that this is downgraded to a 20A. Alternatively he could install a ring main

- Cabling above consumer unit is dangerous and needs remedial attention

- Cables above consumer unit have been extended and are without their protective sheath.

- Gas service is not earthed

Details of the installation covered by the report was 75%
Extent of sampling (inspection only) - 75%

So I plan to get to downgrade the sockets to 20A (living room and upstairs), install ring main in kitchen

Looks like i might be actually saving a bit of bob over a full rewire :)

What's your gripe with downlights? They're lovely :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Guys my electrician has quoted £9 to downrate the sockets from 32A to a 20A

Surely this is a mistake? or it usually this cheap?

Also, I wanted to ask whether in a 3 bed property would a 20A generally give me enough power or would it be wise to just get a ring main? (over 7000w)

It depends on what your 7000watts is comprised of.
3000 watts is approx 13A. You do the math.

IMO, 20A Isn’t going to he enough for a whole house.
Maybe install separate ring for kitchen/utility. That’s where the big loads will be.

£9 is probably the materials cost of the MCB (the new 20A switch). Could the labour be somewhere else, or just built into the job as a whole?

It depends on what your 7000watts is comprised of.
3000 watts is approx 13A. You do the math.

IMO, 20A Isn’t going to he enough for a whole house.
Maybe install separate ring for kitchen/utility. That’s where the big loads will be.
Apologies, as I wasn't very clear.

My electrician has given me a couple of options

Install 20A circuit for the 3 bedrooms upstairs which will provide 4600w of power

or option 2 would be install a new ring main upstairs (which would give me fresh wiring and over 7000W of power).

In both of the above options, I will be installing a new ring main in the kitchen.

I have just decided to go with a new ring main upstairs as the difference in price between the two options was negligible and it would give me peace of mind in terms of safety as I may rent the place at some stage..

£9 is probably the materials cost of the MCB (the new 20A switch). Could the labour be somewhere else, or just built into the job as a whole?

Yes, I believe that you are right.. Labour was somewhere else.. Thanks for the comment!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back