When Does Lockdown End?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
make an argument about their argument, not about their colour etc.. Doesn't matter if they are white, pink, orange or green - you should attack the argument not the person. Otherwise you lose.
I totally agree. But that doesn't make any difference to whether 'gammon' is racist or not. And that was the discussion. You've moved it onto whether it is intellectually justified to use derogatory terms in discussions, I would totally agree with you, it is never justified. But that doesn't affect whether it is racist or not.
To use the same example, it would never be justified to call someone a name due to the colour of their hair, but that doesn't affect whether it is racist or not.
maybe you could take a guess at when the Equality Act 2010 became law ;)
Errr, 2009? 2011? Am I close? :whistle:

Absolutely not correct
Under the Equality Act you are protected from discrimination:when you are in the workplace
  • when you use public services like healthcare (for example, visiting your doctor or local hospital) or education (for example, at your school or college)
  • when you use businesses and other organisations that provide services and goods (like shops, restaurants, and cinemas)
  • when you use transport
  • when you join a club or association (for example, your local tennis club)
  • when you have contact with public bodies like your local council or government departments
You may be right, you probably are about transgender, (I did say that was my understanding of the original legislation) and as far as I am still aware the original legislation only covered employment and training. I wouldn't argue that it doesn't cover other aspects of society now.

But I'm not aware of the legislation specifically referring to crossdressing, and by definition crossdressers have not changed their gender, therefore they are not transgender. Well they might have done, but by the definition of crossdressing, the participant is wearing clothes of the opposite sex to which they align.
Do you know which section/Act of any legislation that refers specifically to crossdressing, or incorporates crossdressing into the transgender definition?

Do you know which section/Act of any legislation that refers specifically to crossdressing, or incorporates crossdressing into the transgender definition?
Crossdressing is probably not even that easy to define anymore..If you are anatomically a man,identify as a woman,is dressing as a woman still "" crossdressing"?And vice versa.How does a non - binary or androgenous "cross dress"?

Sponsored Links
Crossdressing is probably not even that easy to define anymore..If you are anatomically a man,identify as a woman,is dressing as a woman still "" crossdressing"?And vice versa.How does a non - binary or androgenous "cross dress"?
But surely logically, if you are crossdressing, you wear the clothes of the opposite gender/sex to which you align. Otherwise you are not crossdressing.

cross-dress

1. wear clothing typical of the opposite sex.

I guess androgynous people could decide whichever clothes they prefer and they wouldn't be crossdressing. So it is irrelevant.

As discrimination against women who cross-dress would be illegal - simply because they are women, then discrimination against men doing it must also be illegal.

But surely logically, if you are crossdressing, you wear the clothes of the opposite gender/sex to which you align. Otherwise you are not crossdressing.

cross-dress

1. wear clothing typical of the opposite sex.

I guess androgynous people could decide whichever clothes they prefer and they wouldn't be crossdressing. So it is irrelevant.
""Sex' and 'gender' are often used interchangeably, despite having different meanings: Sex refers to a set of biological attributes in humans and animals. ... Gender refers to the socially constructed roles, behaviours, expressions and identities of girls, women, boys, men, and gender diverse people."""
I honestly have no idea anymore.

Opposite to what?used to be Anatomical..now is it what one identifies as?
See the definition of crossdressing.
Whatever you identify as, if you wear clothes of the opposite sex, you are crossing dressing.
Of course the precise styles of clothes blur the periphery of what is considered clothes of the opposite sex.

Tuesday afternoons I identify as a 6ft.5 Chinese woman and have never encountered any discrimination.

As discrimination against women who cross-dress would be illegal - simply because they are women, then discrimination against men doing it must also be illegal.
I think it's still a grey'ish area. For example, male employees could be expected to wear a shirt and tie. But that does not apply to female employees, They would merely be expected to dress smartly. And they could decide to wear a shirt and tie.
But what would happen if a male employee wore a dress instead of a shirt and tie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back