When the chips are down...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
They keep on falling

"The boss of Intel says the US chipmaker is no longer considering building a factory in the UK because of Brexit.

Pat Gelsinger told the BBC that before the UK left the EU, the country "would have been a site that we would have considered".

But he added: "Post-Brexit... we're looking at EU countries and getting support from the EU".

Intel wants to boost its output amid a global chip shortage that has hit the supply of cars and other goods.

The firm - which is one of the world's largest makers of semiconductors - says the crisis has shown that the US and Europe are too reliant on Asia for its chip-making needs.

Intel is investing up to $95bn (£70bn) on opening and upgrading semiconductor plants in Europe over the next 10 years, as well as boosting its US output."

Brexit - the gift that keeps on giving! (n)

Sponsored Links
the key word is considered never said they were building

the key word is considered never said they were building
And post Brexit: no longer being considered.

EU marketplace: $16 trillion

UK marketplace $2.8 trillion

We’ve shrunk down from Tesco to the Spar.

Sponsored Links

"I have no idea whether we would have had a superior site from the UK," he said. "But we now have about 70 proposals for sites across Europe from maybe 10 different countries.

"We're hopeful that we'll get to agreement on a site, as well as support from the EU... before the end of this year."

So is that implying that Intel want EU taxpayer's money to support their new operations in the EU ? How much support will be needed ?

Maybe the UK is not the place for companies that consider it acceptable to use tax payers money to support their operations.

Maybe the UK is not the place for companies that consider it acceptable to use tax payers money to support their operations.
You really have no clue do you...

Care to tell us if the UK has ever subsidised third country's corporate operations?

Yes or no?

I think that ship has sailed.......... Nissan Sunderland

lauded by brexit supporters as a great brexit benefit (Nissan wouldve stayed without brexit, so no benefit at all)

intel are talking about an $80 billion investment in Europe -and like any other country in the world they will push to get a subsidy to do so -theres nothing new about that, its what happens

given that brexit red tape is costing more than EU membership, we couldve got an intel plant here for free.

unfortunately brexit supporters think EU membership is a cost without benefits, its not. SM membership saves more than the cost of the fee

Facts never stopped Boris and it won't stop his believers.

The cognitive dissonance. The same RWR who will say we don't need to give Tax subsidies will be the first to demand corps pay lower tax to encourage them to invest.

Pat Gelsinger told the BBC that before the UK left the EU, the country "would have been a site that we would have considered".

But he added: "Post-Brexit... we're looking at EU countries and getting support from the EU".
Yeah, yeah. Come back and tell us when they have actually built a site in the EU.

Bit like your rant on the UK losing the EHIC by leaving the EU. Didn’t hear a peep out of you when it was replaced by the GHIC did we? UK 'possible' doom stories are all you’re interested in.

Post-Brexit, weren’t you saying you were going to do something? How’d that work out?

Last edited:
If I were looking around Europe to build a factory I would worry about a country that has made import and export with mainland Europe difficult, seems to struggle with supplying itself with basic needs and has an incompentent government with a leader who is alleged to say "f*ck business" was not a good place.

Maybe we couldn't afford the large sweetner to Intel to set up here.

If I were looking around Europe to build a factory I would worry about a country that has made import and export with mainland Europe difficult, seems to struggle with supplying itself with basic needs and has an incompentent government with a leader who is alleged to say "f*ck business" was not a good place.

Maybe we couldn't afford the large sweetner to Intel to set up here.

Yeah but you can stuff your ill gotten gains in London Property. We will always be a mecca for footloose cash and questionable people. It rips the soul out of London but hey this is what we voted for.

Sponsored Links
Back