When there's not enough space for your drill.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. A few ago, I saw what seemed a brilliant device on that Tommy Walsh's programme on the Quest channel. Basically, it's like a flexible bendy extension about 300mm long. You stick one end in the drill, stick your screwdriving bit in t'other end and - don't ask me how - it works fine even though the flexy extension thingy is in an S shape - at least for Mr Walsh.

There have been so many occasions where I just haven't had room to get the drill into a confined space that this extension could be just what I need. But what's it called? Where can I get it from? And is it any good? :?:

Sponsored Links
Just my opinion, but I find flexy drives sound much better than they actually are......my own has its uses, granted but any real work and it ties itself in knots!
Screwfix do one - 31843 - and its quite good for die grinding.
John :)

Thanks burnerman ... really helpful especially cos i never think of screwfix... i couldn't find them in wickes or B&Q! Cheers mate!

Sponsored Links
@ Beano, just think of them as brake cables like on a bike but obviously proper heavy duty, a thick cable within an outer sheaf, has its limitations but handy to have nonetheless

@ burnerman - yep i think that might be very handy too ..now i'm spoilt for choice :LOL:

@crank39 - fair point mate - and the reviews on the screwfix site suggest you dont put too much pressure on or it messes up!

not overly relivent
but just to let people know you can buy angle drivers and drill driver
the bosh 10.8v is incredible for really tight spaces as it locates in several positions from left to right at the push off a button
not cheap off course at around £100-140 but worth considering iff your planning on a new light heavy duty battery tool set

heres the version without a chuck
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha4B1cEc5nc

Those flexi ones are OK for very low torque aplications. Anything else and you will struggle.

Even the angle chucks are not really designed for high torque, as its only good as the gears, which are not really well made.

Another choice could be Toolstations 40354....keyless angle driver.

Aldi were selling those fairly recently for about £5 to £6 in both keyed and keyless varieties. They aren't all that good and have a 500rpm speed limit. If you are in no rush and it's only for limited usage then they might be okay.

If you have an Aldi nearby, take a look in the discounted bin because they might still have one.

Those flexi ones are OK for very low torque aplications. Anything else and you will struggle.

Even the angle chucks are not really designed for high torque, as its only good as the gears, which are not really well made.
Yes, I have an angled chuck and they are very cheaply made with no true bearings except for the outer housing and therefore the speed limit is 500rpm.

Sadly, I did buy an Aldi angled driver, including flexy drive all in a nice aluminium box, with padded foam inside.
The angle driver did 3 holes, 6mm, through 30mm timber before stripping the gears.....strictly bin material. :p

It looks identical to the Toolstation 40354 you mentioned.

I cannot say that mine has seen any action so far except for limited testing.

Keeping the speed down might be the key to keeping it working. I did take it apart to see what was inside it and there are no bearings except for what resembles a bearing which is part of the plastic, plus two gears.

Wellll......I was using the thing on my battery drill so the speed was pretty low really......the whole unit seemed to be plastic coated so no obvious way of taking it apart.
I finished the job with the flexy drive, which promptly released the bearing from the chuck end.
Straight to the recycling bin - but I kept the aluminium box!
I have had some success with Aldi stuff though, to be fair.

The one I purchased was in a separate box and they had both the keyed and keyless varieties available.

It has screws holding the plastic together which is how I managed to take it apart. It sounds like the one you had was different.

I doubt it will hold up to any punishment and when I use it for the job I purchased it for, I will take it slowly and be very careful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back