Where can I hire testing kit such as multifunction tester?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just starting out and can't afford the £500 straight off any ideas?

Sponsored Links
But bear in mind that hire charges tend to be a significant chunk of the purchase price. Unless you really only need it very occasionally then it might not save you anything.
When I bought mine, it was after a tip off here about an outfit selling off a load of used ones. Perfectly functional, freshly calibrated, but the "Test" button is fairly worn !

Sponsored Links
I got my megger from eBay. I think I paid £250 for a 1552 with lots of leads, even some new ones, just had to get it calibrated and a case for it.

It performs more reliably than new flukes, so I'm happy.

Your mileage may vary on eBay though

Well - I guess he could either ask here, and hope that enough people eventually reply with enough different hire companies that eventually he has as good as got an exhaustive list, or he could use a search engine and get a list almost immediately.

http://www.test-meter.co.uk/ I've used these people to hire a PAT Tester off. Their service was excellent. At £55.00 +Vat for a week you may as well get a 0% credit card and buy one over a year though!

I got my MFT dirt cheap as it was an old model. It's always worth calling a few of the tester suppliers to see if they've got any new old stock or ex demo machines.

All the rental companies sell off their ex-rental gear as well. Typically between 1 and 3 years old depending on what it is, but their prices tend to be a bit higher from memory.
Or keep an eye on the usual marketplace sites.

If buying second hand, check who's selling it and whether it comes calibrated. Mine came from a calibration house with a job lot to sell - and came freshly calibrated. For what I use it for it's not that important, but if you are using it in business then getting it calibrated after purchase will add significantly to the cost - I vaguely recall a figure around the £75 mark.

If buying a newish good quality item from eBay (i.e. not a ancient and battered HokiKoki2000), it would be worth asking a seller if he is prepared to make the sale contingent on getting it calibrated (at the buyer's extra expense, of course).

http://www.test-meter.co.uk/ I've used these people to hire a PAT Tester off. Their service was excellent. At £55.00 +Vat for a week you may as well get a 0% credit card and buy one over a year though!

As above and if you find your way to another forum for electricians that they sponsor you can get a discount. The credit card is a good idea too if you're short of funds.

I hope that he's got a sound business plan, with contingencies for business not hitting predictions etc - seems to me that if you're starting out as an electrician but can't afford essential equipment which you've known all along that you would need then there may not be the necessary firm footings....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back