Where do I find this plug?

Well I was taught that a plug, just like 'male' has pins and a socket has holes, just like a 'female' and have found no confusion with that.
That's also how I was brought up, but I think that there are a good few people who regard (and probably always have regarded) something 'free' as a 'plug' and something 'fixed' as a 'socket' - hence, for them, a 'plug' is something 'free' (attached to a cable) which they 'plug into' something 'fixed' (which they therefore regard as a 'socket') - although I'm not sure what they then say about a pair of mated 'free' male and female connectors!

As Jackrae has said, to avoid confusion/ambiguity one needs to indicate both gender and whether 'free' or 'fixed'.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
That's also how I was brought up, but I think that there are a good few people who regard (and probably always have regarded) something 'free' as a 'plug' and something 'fixed' as a 'socket' - hence, for them, a 'plug' is something 'free' (attached to a cable) which they 'plug into' something 'fixed' (which they therefore regard as a 'socket') - although I'm not sure what they then say about a pair of mated 'free' male and female connectors!
On that basis an extension lead will have 2 plugs, most on here will happily describe that as a widowmaker. :D

As Jackrae has said, to avoid confusion/ambiguity one needs to indicate both gender and whether 'free' or 'fixed'.

Kind Regards, John
I don't have any issues about adding descriptors if they are meaningful and often use those terms myself.

in the audio industry, you get a lot of leads designed to be connected together, in a chain, or inserted into a bit of kit.
So. Free XLR Female/male (no pins/pins). or chassis mount sockets Male/female

think of it as describing a 110v lead. There's a male plug to connect to electricity and a trailing socket to connect to equipment.

On that basis an extension lead will have 2 plugs, most on here will happily describe that as a widowmaker. :D
Not really, because, although 'free', the 'female end' of an extension lead is not something that one would 'plug in' to anything ('fixed').
I don't have any issues about adding descriptors if they are meaningful and often use those terms
It certainly is theoretically 'safer'. I'm sure that I am often guilty of calling what's on the female end of a 'mains lead' as being a 'plug' (even though it is a 'free socket') - and I'm equally sure that I'm not alone in that!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
in the audio industry, you get a lot of leads designed to be connected together, in a chain, or inserted into a bit of kit.
So. Free XLR Female/male (no pins/pins). or chassis mount sockets Male/female

think of it as describing a 110v lead. There's a male plug to connect to electricity and a trailing socket to connect to equipment.
I am completely lost in your contradictory description.

I have worked in the audio business for well over 50 years and have never EVER heard of a "Chassis mount Male Socket"

I have worked in the audio business for well over 50 years and have never EVER heard of a "Chassis mount Male Socket"
That may well be true, and 'correct' - but, as I said, I think you'll find that there are plenty of people who will describe anything 'chassis-mounted' (i.e. 'fixed') as a 'socket', regardless of its gender, with the 'free' thing which one 'plugs into it' (of whichever gender) being a 'plug'.

I don't think, for example, that many people would describe the thing which they 'plug into' their electric kettle (or computer, laptop charger or whatever) as a 'socket', would they?

Kind regards, John

Well what can I say to the ignorance of that advert?

I haven't googled for this and I don't intend to waste time on doing so but I'll reiterate I've worked with Audio for about 55 years, Telecoms for 25 years, controls - animatronics - AV - Broadcast radio - 2 way radio - stage & other pro lighting - etc for 30 years and in none of those has anyone ever said that. Chassis or more likely panel plug, Socket, Male, Female, ocassionally receptacle or Jack [which was the early term for socket and still used by some broadcast types]. But never male chassis socket other than in error while requesting and changing their mind, in fact I think anyone recorded using that term would get posted and laughed at.

EDIT: I wouldn't generally use or expect to hear the term free plug or free socket in everyday use in most environments other than electrical where a socket would most likely be wall mounted.

Last edited:
https://www.instruments4music.co.uk...mDfG9jxhGvLJ4KFXFkcp8TjnEdSKdVfAaAtYTEALw_wcB

I've got over 40 years of professional audio and video experience along with lighting ranging from touring theatre, receiving house, rock bands and video production . I've built or spec' d recording studios, tv studios, and a couple of theatres.

If dealing with an ADA or DMX distribution system, you have loads of sockets, some male and some female. Any DMX light will have a DMX in and out for the daisychain. You can't refer to them as plugs

Oh dear, I pity the Op - jst asked about getting a hard to find replacement and ends up with a long discussion on the semantics of if its a plug or socket..... :(

https://www.instruments4music.co.uk...mDfG9jxhGvLJ4KFXFkcp8TjnEdSKdVfAaAtYTEALw_wcB

I've got over 40 years of professional audio and video experience along with lighting ranging from touring theatre, receiving house, rock bands and video production . I've built or spec' d recording studios, tv studios, and a couple of theatres.

If dealing with an ADA or DMX distribution system, you have loads of sockets, some male and some female. Any DMX light will have a DMX in and out for the daisychain. You can't refer to them as plugs
On an ADA I'd expect to find XLR sockets for the I/P's but I'd expect to hear them called: inputs, inlets or 'females' and the opposite is normal for the O/P's. Again I can't think of anybody who has ever deliberatly called the males sockets.

For a DDA or DMX DA there will be a male inlet and females or sockets for the outlets.

If I was replacing a broken 'DMX in' connector on a light fitting and had to ask for the device I'd call it a panel mount XLR plug or male, If I asked for a panel mount XLR socket I'd expect to be presented with the wrong item.
Oh dear, I pity the Op - jst asked about getting a hard to find replacement and ends up with a long discussion on the semantics of if its a plug or socket..... :(
Indeed but OP has come here asking us to identify a device and some will describe it as a plug which according to all of my training , learning and experience is incorrect.

If I went to a supplier and asked for a 13A plug I would expect to be supplied with this:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/diall-13...xrTCOc2K1QUlmYL3z6oaAimhEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
and not this:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-logic...wISuKHMWsBcZWH0XA5IaAi3dEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
Both the first hit on Google.

It may be incorrect but it doesn't need y'all to take over the thread with a long extended discussion about it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back