Where do I get screws that can be picked up my a magnet?

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sounds like a dumb question...
I want to get screws that I can pickup with a magnet.
I bought screws off ebay... they say 'stainless steel', but can't be picked up a magnet.
I asked the seller. He gave me a long explanation how some screws are stainless steel and can be magnetised while others can't + that he didn't where to buy the screws from.

I'm assuming the answer is simple!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
very simple dont buy stainless screws [use steel or coated steel]or choose a decent bit that will hold them without a magnet
found a makita gold pz2 bit will hold screws to transport them

Thanks
So that's the problem...
I bought 'Stainless steel' screws.
I bought this item on ebay ebay.co.uk/itm/322983440316
Can't pick them up with my magnet screw bit.
I asked the seller and he gave me a long lecture about how some screws are stainless steel but can't be picked up.

You said: 'decent bit that will hold them'...
A hex screw stays in place... others, I have trouble with
Besides... I want to keep the screws on a magnetic wrist thing...

Let me know what you think
Thanks.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Stainless steel cannot stick to a magnet as all scrapman know.
In fact they carry a magnet with them to asses what's what.
Aluminium is another metal that doesn't stick to magnets.

Sponsored Links
Just get BZP screws. Steel plated with zinc.

ahh torx never used them only use pozi
you could try somthing like ptfe plumbers tape in one or more layer to give a good hold

Thanks
I'll look for BZP

I looked at the listing above mentioned
He actually mentions BZP in his listing (though he doesn't say the screw is BZP)
(I would add the the seller was OK and not horrible or anything... quick delivery and replied to my messages... I was just unhappy with the screws.)

Why torx? I know it's supposed to allow more torque, but do you really need that over pozi drive? It might just be me but if I found one of those I'd spend an extra 30 seconds swearing about awkward gits before then spending an extra 15 seconds finding the torx bit in my tool box.

Also if you need to out that much torque into the screw I'd be worried about shearing the head off. Very annoying when you do that.

Stainless steel cannot stick to a magnet as all scrapman know.
In fact they carry a magnet with them to asses what's what.
Aluminium is another metal that doesn't stick to magnets.

It depends upon the grade of stainless steel, most is not magnetic, but some is. So that test is not foolproof.

Why torx? I know it's supposed to allow more torque, but do you really need that over pozi drive? It might just be me but if I found one of those I'd spend an extra 30 seconds swearing about awkward gits before then spending an extra 15 seconds finding the torx bit in my tool box.

Also if you need to out that much torque into the screw I'd be worried about shearing the head off. Very annoying when you do that.

Less cam out.

If you bend stainless steel it can become magnetic - have a play about with a magnet on your kitchen sink.

To answer the original question, go to your local hardware store - take magnet with you.

Oh no, you can't...
If using ebay then ask the question before buying.

I mostly buy torx head screws these days

There are different types of stainless steel, some is magnetic and some isn't.
Stick a tiny bit of Blu Tack on the end of your screwdriver.

Sponsored Links
Back