Where to buy really small water resistant screws?

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a number plate holder for my car. It's stainless steel and secured with small screws.

One of the screws is rusting. It's only been 2 weeks since I fitted.
(I'm complaining to the seller and kicking up a fuss - but I'm guessing it's a Chinese seller - they'll probably offer a refund or partial one at least.)

Just wondering... where would I get really small screws from? And what do I need to look out for to know they will be water resistant?

I'm guessing ebay or Amazon is the place to buy... but wanted to ask for advice on what I should looking for.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Stainless steel screws are readily available online.

• Thanks
Reactions: OM2
Sponsored Links
Avoid anywhere other than a UK seller (ie Amazon, eBay etc), also bear in mind that stainless means stains less not stain free.

• Thanks
If the screws are rubbish then what will the rest of the item be like!

• Thanks
I mostly get my stainless screws from Kays.

There are several common standards available.

Most cheap stainless is bought from China, and is deliberately made cheap, to sell cheap, with zero % nickel in it. It is adequate for rough work.

Nickel makes steel much stronger and more corrosion resistant, but it is an expensive material.

German manufacturers seem to supply most of the better standards.

You can buy marine-certified stainless screws at much higher price.

I have no doubt that Chinese steelworks are capable of making good quality steel for any customer willing to pay for it.

• Thanks
As JohnD says, the cheapest ebay etc "stainless" screws arent stainless at all, the marine grade ones stand a chance of not rusting. I bought some "stainless steel" wirewool for outside use to stop mice entering, it rusted in about 2 days... so got a refund.

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back