What magnet bit holder should I buy?

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got a reply from a previous post here and ended up buying a Wera.
That one is just awesome.
Problem: it's thick and hard to get to a lot of places.

I got this unit from Amazon: www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00403M7OU
It's pathetic. It's NOT a 'magnet bit holder' despite saying so.
The bit holder isn't slim here... but I thought I'd mention... I can find plenty of 'magnetic' bit holders - but do they give the bits enough magnet power to pick up and hold a screw?

EDIT: where can I buy bits that are magnetic?
I can't remember if someone told me before in another post reply: you only buy holders that are magnetic??

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You can make your own bits magnetic you know... almost anything that contains iron
tool_magnetizer_demagnetizer_large.jpg

Nozzle

looks good. can you use to magnetise bits? i looked up on ebay. they are descrbied as 'for watch makers' in some listings. so are they good enough for normal screws?

@foxhole i should have made clear... it's the thickness of the end that is the problem - not the length of reach most times.
so making furniture is a pain when other bits are close together.

thanks.

You can make your own bits magnetic you know... almost anything that contains iron
tool_magnetizer_demagnetizer_large.jpg

Nozzle

Sponsored Links
It will magnetise bits so they're strong enough to hold a screw on the end. It does depend what they're made from though, but there's a good chance it'll work.

Nozzle

• Thanks
Reactions: OM2
looks good. can you use to magnetise bits? i looked up on ebay. they are descrbied as 'for watch makers' in some listings. so are they good enough for normal screws?

@foxhole i should have made clear... it's the thickness of the end that is the problem - not the length of reach most times.
so making furniture is a pain when other bits are close together.

thanks.
I know that’s why I suggested longer bits , they have no shoulder to get in the way .

• Thanks
makita looks ok.
putt off by bad reviews.
afraid of buying incase i get something that is 'magnetic' - holds the bit but doesn't magnetise the screw and hold it in place.

makita looks ok.
putt off by bad reviews.
afraid of buying incase i get something that is 'magnetic' - holds the bit but doesn't magnetise the screw and hold it in place.
Not all screws have enough iron content for magnet to work.

Not all screws have enough iron content for magnet to work.
yes i get that. but would still like a bit holder that magnetizes - just not sure what to buy!
the wera is awesome - but he's just too fat!

ASIDE: when should i use screws can or can't be held by a magnet? i assume they have their purposes?
like do non magnetic not rust or something?
thanks

here's the short version:

Some forms of stainless steel are non-magnetic.

here's the short version:

Some forms of stainless steel are non-magnetic.
ok i got that.
but my question was: what uses are these screws for?
is there a purpose for them being non magnetic - like it doesn't rust or something?
apologies if i am being dumb in my questions

stainless steel doesn't rust

I use stainless screws and bolts in the garden and shed due to rain and damp, and on the car but isolated from other metals

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back