What magnet bit holder should I buy?

Sponsored Links
Dunno which wera bit holder you went for before but the 057675 model is quite slim and magnetic. If that's no good, then as already said use long bits.

• Thanks
Reactions: OM2
@OM2

with the makita the screw bit goes in quite far into the magnetic slide which has a magnetic ring at the end
the screw contacts the magnetic ring just before it is fully engaged on the bit...so the magnet 'pulls' the screw tight against the magnetic ring...
you can hold the magnetic sleeve as the driver/drill starts the screw without tearing your fingers..just push down gently on the screw and fire the driver...and bang!! its in flush as the sleeve also acts as a dead stop
i use it for everything...never gives me any trouble
and as mentioned the screws have to have a carbon content (ferrite as martensite) as for steel to react to the magnet
brass and the common stainless type dont seem to be possible

"A common misconception is that stainless steel is non-magnetic. There are five classes of stainless steel, and only one is non-magnetic. However, it just happens to be that the most widely used type (austenitic) is the one that is not magnetic."

A.jpg B.jpg C.jpg D.jpg

if there is a better one and this lets me down...i will buy that one!!

cheers
geof

• Thanks
Reactions: OM2
Dunno which wera bit holder you went for before but the 057675 model is quite slim and magnetic. If that's no good, then as already said use long bits.
aha!
i got the 052502
that does look slim - and expensive

@OM2

with the makita the screw bit goes in quite far into the magnetic slide which has a magnetic ring at the end
the screw contacts the magnetic ring just before it is fully engaged on the bit...so the magnet 'pulls' the screw tight against the magnetic ring...
you can hold the magnetic sleeve as the driver/drill starts the screw without tearing your fingers..just push down gently on the screw and fire the driver...and bang!! its in flush as the sleeve also acts as a dead stop
and as mentioned the screws have to have a carbon content (ferrite as martensite) as for steel to react to the magnet

"A common misconception is that stainless steel is non-magnetic. There are five classes of stainless steel, and only one is non-magnetic. However, it just happens to be that the most widely used type (austenitic) is the one that is not magnetic."

View attachment 143486 View attachment 143487 View attachment 143488 View attachment 143489

cheers
geof
geof... i like what i'm hearing. i'll go for one of these i think.
thanks

Sponsored Links
@OM2

i have just looked at the wera models...and they look smart...bit removal seems to be easier i think than
with the makita... which doesnt actually eject..which the wera's do...good or bad??

best of luck

geof

Felo do excellent magnetic sleeve drive type bit holders (like the Makita), quite dear but exceptionally powerful.

Blup

@OM2

View attachment 143486 View attachment 143487 View attachment 143488 View attachment 143489

cheers
geof

I'm sure I suggested this same one which I have a few of in the thread the question was first asked and I think Wera over-ruled it. :whistle:

I suppose we all live and learn.

If you need to get into very hard to reach places, I got a set of impact rated 150mm long driver bits from screwfix, stick a couple of cheap neodymium magnets on the side and jobs a good en.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-impact-screwdriver-bits-set-150mm-9-pieces/16648

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back