Magnet screw bits - where to buy from

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm putting together some ikea furniture - lots of them!

I need magnet screw bits.
What should I buy?

None of the bits I have are magnetic.
I can't find any that are magnetic (maybe I haven't searched enough)

Is it that the screw bit holder is magnetic and not the bit itself?

As for screw bits... Should I buy rolson 1000 screw bits for £1.99 (OK... It's not 1000, but a large number anyway)

Or should I buy 10 dewalt bits for £10?

Just making those numbers up. It's something like that anyway.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Yes, it is the holder that is the magnet.
Or you can get holders which actually hold the bit (bigger of course).
https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p68982?table=no

It's up to you which you buy. The better ones are better.

Had some Rolson drill bits once which instead of making a hole bigger resulted in making the bit smaller.
On the other hand, had a Rolson plane which was excellent.

• Thanks
Reactions: OM2
as an aside
flatpack fixings can be plastic or alloy so wont be magnetic
they can also be ph2[phillips] wheres as the most useful in general woodwork will be pz2[pozidrive] and although the look the same they will chew up the wrong screws

• Thanks
Yes, it is the holder that is the magnet.
Or you can get holders which actually hold the bit (bigger of course).
don't they all hold bits though? what does the bulging sleeve give you that something like this doesnt give:
1085e0_bf6f4ee01f7b44169da6f1718faecf6a.jpg

as an aside
flatpack fixings can be plastic or alloy so wont be magnetic
they can also be ph2[phillips] wheres as the most useful in general woodwork will be pz2[pozidrive] and although the look the same they will chew up the wrong screws
Oh... I was actually looking at screwfix and they have a pack of 25 DeWalt PH2 and PZ2. I was confused. What's the difference. When should I use one and not use the other?

EDIT: I did some research on youtube. I think this explains many screwed up bits in the past. LOL. But... I didn't see any good explanations as to when I should use which. So... a little explanation would be awesome.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
don't they all hold bits though? what does the bulging sleeve give you that something like this doesnt give:
That one in the picture is just a magnet.
The bulging ones physically hold the bits and you slide the bulging bit down to release the bit - like hoses fit to outside taps.

• Thanks
I just find it as easy to buy cheap neodymium magnets and stick them to the side of your bit holder or bit. Does the same thing.
IMG_20180320_173933094.jpg

• Thanks
the easy way to tell pz bits have a star within a star if you look carefully at the point that goes into the screw and the screw head again has a star within a star both in the "V""and on the face off the head

• Thanks
the easy way to tell pz bits have a star within a star if you look carefully at the point that goes into the screw and the screw head again has a star within a star both in and on the face off the head
ok... got that. but should i use one and not the other?
i've seen a video on utube - but not 100% clear
thanks.

i was just about to buy Wera Rapidaptor Bit Holder...
i saw this for about £1 more:

r0Cc8E.jpg

worth buying instead?

only ever use a pz bit on a pz screw and a ph on a ph screw
basically the correct bit will hold the screw at least horizontally and even hang vertically if a perfect fit

• Thanks
The first thing that shatters in cheap magnetic bit holders is the magnet, especially when using impact drivers.
We buy decent (150mm long) impact bit holders. Once you have used the longer bit holders you will never go back to the stubby ones unless tight spaces dictate.

• Thanks
The first thing that shatters in cheap magnetic bit holders is the magnet, especially when using impact drivers.
We buy decent (150mm long) impact bit holders. Once you have used the longer bit holders you will never go back to the stubby ones unless tight spaces dictate.
dumb question, what's an impact driver? when would i use? i was only ever thinking of using for screwing screws.

Sponsored Links
Back