Where do I get screws that can be picked up my a magnet?

I have one of those wristbands you mentioned. It's quite good for small screws/nuts etc

Many years ago someone gave me a small plastic box with a spring loaded lid which was on a wristband. You push down to drop your screw/washer, nut etc and the lid sprang up to trap them inside. Bit of a bitch to get the right one out without tipping them all on to a table first but the idea behind it was good.

I think you can get a screwdriver with two small grippers on the end. You push the driver on to the screw end and the grippers retract into a tube and act like a chuck by gripping the screw head. As you start to drive the screw home the tube eventually hits the wood/wall and slides up the screwdriver shaft allowing the grippers to open and release the screw.

Not sure if these are any good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-275...+gripping+screwdrivers.&qid=1586454582&sr=8-5

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Tip?

If a magnet sticks to yer copper pipes in yer house (heating) u have a problem ;)

Surely the selection of a screw is based on it's performance and intended use, not whether it can be picked up by a magnet? o_O

Sponsored Links
I bought screws off ebay... they say 'stainless steel', but can't be picked up a magnet.
Indeed...That is a test for stainless steel...Always found if S/S picked up a magnet it was poor quality

Found a solution, if you bend the stainless steel screws and use powerful magnets then they will stick.

This is a stainless screw that is normally unaffected by magnets, but after bending back and forwards a good few times it will stick to a strong magnet. (magnets out of a hard disk drive)
x mag_0706.JPG

there is an explanation here (all completely above my head)

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-dont-magnets-work-on/
The most popular stainless steel is Type 304, which contains approximately 18 percent chromium and 8 percent nickel. At room temperature, the thermodynamically stable crystal structure of 304 stainless steel is bcc; nevertheless, the alloy's nickel concentration, as well as the small amounts of manganese (about 1 percent), carbon (less than 0.08 percent) and nitrogen (about 0.06 percent), maintains an fcc structure and therefore the alloy is nonmagnetic. If the alloy is mechanically deformed, i.e. bent, at room temperature, it will partially transform to the ferritic phase and will be partly magnetic, or ferromagnetic, as it is more precisely termed.

They make differing grades of SS for different purposes, nowt to do with quality.
Yes it is to do with quality...Cheap S/S rusts...Last thing you need on kitchen food prep tables...If it catches a magnet you can tell its crap before you buy it and it later rusts

^^ It isn't to do with quality. As has already been said, there are many different types of stainless steel. It's horses for courses and at the end of the day, money.

^^ It isn't to do with quality. As has already been said, there are many different types of stainless steel. It's horses for courses and at the end of the day, money.
Bolox...less carbon,more iron makes it rust.cheap ss rusts,,cheap ss tables rust...so in your world there is no correlation between money and quality for a product?

Sponsored Links
Back