Where do I measure the 4m from for our detatched bungalow extension under PD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi im looking to extend from the back of our 1950s bungalow. My question is do we measure the 4m from A or B on the attatched drawing please?

We want to go as big as possible without planning due to problem neighbours!

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_2017.jpg
    IMG_2017.jpg
    536.1 KB · Views: 61
Sponsored Links
If you attach anything to the side of the outrigger then you're limited to half the overall width as it would also need to comply with the side extension criteria.

Thanks for the reply. We are only looking to extend to the rear.

We are just unsure where the 4m measurement should be taken from.

Let's get this straight, you want add an extension in green yes?

If so then anything to the side of the red line is limited to half the width of the house.

ext.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hi yes we only want to extend straight from the back nothing to either side just the width of the original bungalow.

Thanks

If any part of the extension is touching the red line then the width of the extension is limited to half the overall width of the house.

Even though the proposed extension is to the rear of the property? Im totally confused by this sorry

Just apply for planning, it's straightforward enough, will allow you the extension you want and of its granted puts paid to any objections your neighbours may have.

You will have permitted development to fall back on if planning is refused but you won't be able to build the extension you want.

Even though the proposed extension is to the rear of the property? Im totally confused by this sorry
Because you are attaching the extension to a 'side wall' (ie the red one in the image above) as well as the rear walls (your walls A & B), then the extension must meet the criteria for both a side extension and a rear extension.

If any part of the extension is touching the red line then the width of the extension is limited to half the overall width of the house.
Fair point but it is worth clarifying that it depends what the "outrigger" is. It might not be original and is a small extension or conservatory.

Ah I now see what you mean. It’s just a pantry and boiler room but as far as I’m aware it’s original

You'll have to apply for planning permission if you want to go full width then, if the neighbours complaints are invalid then they will be dismissed anyway, you can always fall back to what you can achieve under PD. Sometimes it's better to just apply for what you really want rather than being restricted by the PD criteria, you'll only ever add this extension once so make it the best you can.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back