Where is the reg...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
which says I can't use the armour of SWA as the only cpc? I'm sure this in not alowed anymore but cant find it in the big red book anywhere

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You can use the armour as a CPC.
The main reg for you to look at is 543.1.2 which basically allows you to either look at table 54.7 or use the adiabatic equation to calculate the minimum required CSA of armour.
You can determine wether or not a cables SWA automatically complies with table 54.7 by looking at tables such as the ones in the wiki: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:swa-earthing.
Even if they do not comply with table 54.7 they may still be OK with the adiabatic equation, you'll have to number crunch it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I'm not going mad afterall, maybe it was a premonition of the 18th Ed

Thank you holmslaw for saving me from having to look up 543.2.2.

Also others, mainly DIYers, who don't have a copy of BS7671, from not knowing what's being discussed.

In virtually all instances where smaller cables are used (up to 25mm), the armour can be used as the cpc.

Although the previously linked table implies otherwise for some sizes, this assumes that the cable will be operating at 90C, which it almost certainly won't be.

Seem to remember John Peckham wrote an article on using the armour of SWA cable in one of the IET publications.

He pointed out on the larger cables the steel equivalent size was not big enough.

I think from memory it's around 95mm where one has to be careful. So unlikely to be a DIY problem.

In virtually all instances where smaller cables are used (up to 25mm), the armour can be used as the cpc.

Although the previously linked table implies otherwise for some sizes, this assumes that the cable will be operating at 90C, which it almost certainly won't be.

PVC cables 70C are also on the same wiki page

electrics:earthing_supply_types_and_bonding:swa70.png

electrics:earthing_supply_types_and_bonding:swa90.png
[/img]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back