where should this be?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone
I just put a new washing machine in my kitchen and found an unconnected wire.
Ive traced it as far as i can but wanted an opinion on what i need to do with it.
I have a double socket on the wall with a wire coming out of it and into a junction box. Then from the junction box into a single socket(spur) for the washing machine.
On the opposite side from where this wire is coming from i have an unattached wire which goes to a double socket which is obviously not working.
It looks as though it was attached to the junction box but has been taken out rather than fallen out?
Is it safe to reconnect it?
Tia

Sponsored Links
Do you mean a cable, containing three wires? It is not safe to connect it unless it has been tested, it was probably disconnected for a reason.

Yes a cable of 3 wires. Would it be too much power consumption from a spur?

Sponsored Links
All i have is a volt meter. Its just a single socket off of the junction box which has obviously been done for the washing machine as is right next to the inlets and waste pipe

Are you competent to do so? You don't have the test equipment to test the cable, so perhaps not. Sorry if that sounds insulting, but 'not competent' does not mean 'not capable'.:)
Without a FCU you cannot have a single socket-outlet and a double socket-outlet on a spur.

Your right Im capable! Do i need to get someone in to put the fcu after the junction box? Do both spurs then go to the fcu? Like u say im not competent but want to know what im going to be asking to be done

If I've understood you correctly, what should be done is to check that the first double socket is on a ring final and is not already a spur, remove the junction box and replace it with a FCU, then connect the single and double sockets to the FCU.

Thanks for your help i could probably connect everything up but i wouldn't know if the first double socket was on the ring final or not. If it is and just needs doing as you suggest what time/price should i be expecting quotes of?

No idea, I'm not a pro electrician. Anyone else care to venture a guess? It'll only be a guess without being able to see it.

Is it safe to reconnect it?

crystal_ball.jpg

As a washing machine can take almost 3kW on heating to put a fused spur feeding 3 sockets including the one feeding the washing machine is not good practice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back