where should this be?

Thanks Winston the only other power supply i have accessible is the oven feed as these wires are under the kitchen counter. what other options do i have to get the unconnected double socket working?

Sponsored Links
Thanks Winston the only other power supply i have accessible is the oven feed as these wires are under the kitchen counter. what other options do i have to get the unconnected double socket working?

Not sure where the unconnected double socket is, but can you spur it directly off the first double? Two Spurs from one point is OK as long as they do not share the same spur cable.

As a washing machine can take almost 3kW on heating to put a fused spur feeding 3 sockets including the one feeding the washing machine is not good practice.
Not ideal, but compliant with regs. A lot depends on what the other sockets are likely to be used for. A couple of phone chargers would be fine, a tumble dryer wouldn't.

Not sure where the unconnected double socket is, but can you spur it directly off the first double? Two Spurs from one point is OK as long as they do not share the same spur cable.
Winston, you point out that a fused spur feeding three sockets is not good practice, yet you're happy with then on separate unfused spurs from the same point on the ring?:confused: I know which I'd prefer. That is of course if the first double is on a ring, which we still don't know.

Sponsored Links
I don't know if is on the ring, can i tell anyhow? I cant get to the first double socket as its plastered behind the wall then comes out and is then into the junction box. The double socket that is currently not connected will be for maybe a kettle or toaster.

You'd have to switch off the mains power, remove the first socket from the wall, and see how many cables are connected to it. If there are three (i.e. 9 wires) then it is possibly on a ring. If only two cables then it is probably already a spur. What rating is the protective device for that circuit? Is it a fuse or an MCB?

A fast-boil kettle, plus the washing machine, might be too much for a spur.

Probably on a ring then. Shouldn't take a pro much more than an hour to fit an FCU, test the cable and reconnect it if OK. You'd have to be careful not to use the kettle while the washing machine is heating..

You'd have to switch off the mains power, remove the first socket from the wall, and see how many cables are connected to it. If there are three (i.e. 9 wires) then it is possibly on a ring. If only two cables then it is probably already a spur.
Don't understand that.

A socket on a ring will have two cables. So will a socket on a radial, or on a multi-socket spur.

One with 3 cables could be on a ring, with a spur from it, or a radial with a branch from it.

When a ring final is initially installed, all the sockets have two cables.

BAS, it seems from the OP that there is a spur from the rfc, connected to a single socket, and a further double socket that has been disconnected.

BAS, it seems from the OP that there is a spur from the rfc, connected to a single socket, and a further double socket that has been disconnected.

This is correct from the socket(3 wires) to a junction box, then off to a single socket(for washing machine) and a double socket wire which looks as though it has been taken out of the junction box(disconnected wire)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back