Where to connect tumble drier extraction hose?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend of mine has recently moved into a top-floor flat which is built into the pitched roof of a large house.

I have connected a washing machine located in its own enclosure in the loft/attic area in the side of a bedroom. In addition my friend wants me to instal a tumble drier alongside the washing machine. I am having a problem trying to determine a suitable point to connect the ventilation hose. The other side of the loft/attic is a plyboard back panel, behind which are the eaves of the roof – access to here is very restricted. The extraction hose for the bathroom (which is below the bedroom) comes up into the floor of the loft and connects to the plyboard where it terminates. Presumably it is deemed acceptable for the extracted air from the bathroom to exit into this area. Would, then, it be similarly sufficient to connect the ventilation hose of the tumble drier in the same manner ie without a connection to the outside wall? This would of course assume that the area around the eaves is sufficiently cool enough to cope with the output from the drier.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't a condensing TD be easier, with the condensate draining into the same pipe as the Washing Machine?

Presumably it is deemed acceptable for the extracted air from the bathroom to exit into this area.
Wrong

You'll have to vent through a hole in the soffit, or a gable end, or use a tile vent. Yoiu must vent both to the world outside the house

Yes, a condensing drier would make life easier. So the existing bathroom ventilation should be reconfigured to the outside also. One for the builders, methinks.

Thanks for the help, guys.

Sponsored Links
but despite being condensing, they blow out variable amounts of steam :eek:

Which said:
...Tumble dryers, especially condenser dryers, take more looking after than just about any other appliance in the kitchen...

...If you buy a condenser model, you'll need to empty the water reservoir just about every time you use the tumble dryer....

...Condenser dryers have a system of collecting the moisture from wet clothes in a water reservoir, which you must empty when it is full. Vented dryers simply expel the moist air from the room through a hose.

...Condenser dryers are usually seen as more convenient – you don't have to hang a hose out of the kitchen window or knock through a wall to install a vent. However, they are more expensive than their vented equivalents and use more electricity.

Also, some models are awkward to use and don't remove enough moisture from the air. To avoid the poor condenser models, check out the condensation efficiency rating in our test results...

Very interesting bit of info, John. I reckon I will just suggest that she bungs an extractor hose out of the window for each dry. Getting access to the exterior walls in order to instal a proper vent would require scaffolding etc and be prohibitively expensive. Thanks for your help, guys.

a core drill will cut a neat hole to fit a vent through a wall from inside the room, usually you fit the cover from the outside but there is at least one where you can poke it through the wall from inside the house.

I have small hands so I can mortar round the outside by putting my arm through the vent pipe.

a core drill will cut a neat hole to fit a vent through a wall from inside the room, usually you fit the cover from the outside but there is at least one where you can poke it through the wall from inside the house.
There is a problem though, John. There is no outside wall in the bedroom (where the tumble drier is located). Because this part of the flat is in the roof of the building the only way fixed ventilation would be possible would be to have a proper dedicated flue for the drier installed. It would be quite reasonable to consider this when the next rounds of repairs/redecorations and scaffolding etc will be in place but until then it would be preferable to use the ally ducting out of the window when required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back