where to get solid oak thread for cladding stairs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have been browsing the Internet quite a lot today to find some solid oak thread and risers to clad my existing staircase. I have to say I got a bit surprised by the price of it (around £800 for a double winder staircase) but even more by the lack of choice in terms of material and solid oak in particular.
So 2 questions really :
- Solid oak or engineered ? Does solid oak actually worth it? My dad is a purist and explained to me that solid oak will wear slower than engineered bla bla bla. Any opinion on the matter?
- Also where can I source the material either online (seems that I am going in circle between the bluePrintjoinery stairpart and another site), in London or from any timber merchants you recommend ?

Thanks for your help!
Tom

Sponsored Links
Cladding risers and treads could bring you of outside of Regulation dimensions. You might also create safety issues.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Gents. Will be careful about the safety issue. Found the material online. The quotes I received from joinery shops were quite expensive. As muchnas having a whole new staircase in fact!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back