where to put a smoke alarm?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can u put a smoke alarm high on the wall at the top of a staircase or does it have to be on the ceiling?

Any thoughts welcome.

Sponsored Links
Ceiling mounted is recommended, although you can mount them on walls. It has to be certain distance from the ceiling which off hand I think is about 6". But don't hold me to that.

luminaire said:
Ceiling mounted is recommended, although you can mount them on walls. It has to be certain distance from the ceiling which off hand I think is about 6". But don't hold me to that.

So they float 6" off the ceiling, do I use sky hooks :eek:

Is it 600mm away from the nearest light fitting :?:

Consider air flow, there's no point in having the fire / smoke / heat unit away from central areas where the passage of fire / smoke / heat will be quickly detected.
So keep away from dead zones such as corners away from stairs and doors.

Sponsored Links
Correct the best location is at the highest point at the top of the stairs mounted on the ceiling as already said stay at least 0.5 m away from walls and 300 mm away from a bulkhead light fitting. This is due to the fact that the smoke rises and rolls across the ceilings. When it meets an obstruction it creates a dead area of air space which the smoke does not enter.

A search confirmed that it's 300mm from ceiling edges and light fittings.
I've not seen any references to 500mm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back