Where to start?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, first post here so go easy........

Wifey and I have just bought a house. 2 bed, end terrace 1960s flat roof.

Thing is we've got three major jobs that we think need to be done but can only afford to get one done now, others will have to wait until we've saved.

1: Roof, no leaks as yet but loosk very old a tatty compared to neighbours.

2: Central heating, works but very noisy, slow and innefficient. Also giving lousy water pressure due to scaled up pipes.

3: Wiring, we've got a few sockets and lights we'd like moved but apart from that the kitchen wiring needs totally replacing. There are no power points in there and everything is run from extension leads. Very dodgy.

Anyway... What do you reckon should be our priority?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If there are no electrics installed in the kitchen, this suggests a VERY long time since last rewire (possibly original 1960s vintage). So, perhaps you should consider a full rewire instead of just moving a few sockets. As having a few sockets moved is likely to be expensive anyway, might not be as much to do the lot as you would think.

If possible, have all the plumbing and electrics done one soon after the other. Maybe even at the same time. That way, any floorboard lifting and wall-chasing that is required is done at once. Also one is less likely to drill into the recently replastered work of the other (as the chases will still be undecorated).

Having a weatherproof shell is very important, so if the roof looks like it could fail over the winter, get it seen to now. This could make as much difference to warmth as a new heating system (heating a house with a leaky roof) anyway. But if it really is JUST cosmetic (lichen on the tiles etc.) then it can wait.

EDIT: just noticed you said flat roof, so forget what I said about tiles! I am not a builder or roofer, but I have heard that if you have puddles forming on a flat roof then it needs renewing, as they are not designed to hold standing water.

Hmmmm. More or less what I was thinking myself, they all need doing as soon as possible. May be time for me to take a trip down to the bank for a loan. After I've got a few quotes that is.

Guess I'll have to put the new car on hold for a while :( Expensice stuff this home owning!

i thought exactly the same about the electrics and s heating
as both need floor boards up holes in walls damaged skirting ect

why go through that twice or live in a building site till you
can afford part 2 of your update

good luck with your choice any way

sods law say you choose 1 the other goes wrong :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

big all

Sponsored Links
Smiorgian said:
Guess I'll have to put the new car on hold for a while :( Expensice stuff this home owning!

Always good to wait until you have the grotty stuff done before you get the new car. Would you really want to take building rubbish to the tip in the nice new clean pristine boot of your new car? :idea:

get your electrics fixed as this is a safety issue you could try using a sludge remover on your central heating system as that might be a cheap way to improve your heating system.
As for the roof if it aint leaking leave it alone and keep off it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back