Where were you when you heard the Queen had died?

Sitting in the school assembly hall

Sponsored Links
I was in the Metaverse... literally.

I was watching the news coverage in a room on Bigscreen VR on the Oculus with a bunch of other people from around the world on a big massive cinema screen. I hadn't long said to the guy hosting the room "do you think she's already dead and they're just waiting to announce it?" when the ticker on Sky News turned black announcing her death.

I thought it was fairly bizarre and said something about the length of her reign that when she was crowned people hardly had TVs and here on her death, I'm watching it announced in a virtual world on the internet talking to people from London, America, Iran and elsewhere.

I'll remember this one.

Sponsored Links
Sat downstairs in housemates room having beer and watching Youtube. Den from upstairs came down just after 18:00 and told us.

Princess Di in 97, I was overtime on a Saturday morning at NRC on overtime. Radio 1 wouldn't work, playing sombre classical music. Someone from the shop floor came running in to inform everyone.

Around 18.30 in a theatre where I was on duty. But I had already worked it out from radio reports of the note being passed to Truss, Starmer and Hoyle.

At work at 3pm, saw whatsapp messages saying BBC staff in black, expect announcement after 6pm.

Sponsored Links
Back