What was a big news story when you were growing up that young people today wouldn't have heard of?

Sponsored Links
3 day week
interest at 15%
aids
falklands war
scargill and thatcher

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
US president (JFK) getting shot. Can we prepare for another one?
Cuban missile crisis.
Monkey in space.
Yuri Gagarin. I wanted to know how he stayed up.
I wanted to know where the water in the bird bath went when it dried up and why the sky was blue if it was just air.

Last edited:
The Turkish invasion of Cyprus was a big deal in 1974. I remember the news story showing the sky full of paratroopers and thinking it looked like a WWII movie.

This monster hit of a song was created in 1989, when Joel turned 40. The idea spawned from a conversation he had with a friend of Sean Lennon. The friend just turned 21 and was complaining about how crazy it was to be living in his era, therefore undermining any other time before his. This encouraged Joel to write a song that would prove that any time is filled with extremes.

Starting from 1949 (the year in which he was born), he chronicled the major events that occurred during that time in a rapid fire delivery of names, places, and cultural works.

These are his words on the subject:

I started doing that as a mental exercise. I had turned forty. It was 1989, and I said, “Okay, what’s happened in my life? I wrote down the year 1949… It was kind of a mind game. [It’s] one of the few times I’ve written the lyrics first, which should be obvious to why I usually prefer to write the music first, because the melody is horrendous. It’s like a mosquito droning. It’s one of the worst melodies I’ve ever written. I kind of like the lyric though.
Passage taken from the book, In Their Own Words by Bill DeMain (Chapter 14) where he interviewed Joel about his thoughts on the song.

The song reached #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 and became a radio mainstay.

Ronan Point collapse. I lived in the house circled.

IMG_4484.jpeg

Brooklyn doesn't even have a baseball team since the Dodgers moved to LA, in the early 50s, i think.
BJ is right about the melody. It blows chunks.

I remember an economic experiment, from the first Thatcher government, where they set targets for the "money supply". They believed doing this was the key to reducing inflation and controlling the public debt. So for several years, when we got monthly updates on the news, about the economy, as well as unemployment and inflation and borrowing, there was a report on the increase in the money supply. Eventually it was dropped, presumably when it was accepted it was nonsense.

Sponsored Links
Back