Young Drivers.

Sponsored Links
Any new driver should not be allowed to drive a car with an engine greater than 1300cc, whether it is their own, friends or relative etc, for 2 years

All driving lessons must should have a minimum of 2 hours motorway driving, the test should should incorporate some motorway driving

with the right tuning and appropiate amount of money you can get a 1300cc engine to give out 200+bhp.

needs a bit more thought than that.

Then with the appropriate tuning comes the appropriate insurance. Doesn't need much more thought at all really, drop it to 1200cc. It will cost lots of money to get a 1200cc or even a 1300cc engine to produce 200bhp+...you would be talking pretty much an engine rebuild. Not all new drivers are going to be doing that.

I've said it before in the past, its frightening that a young lad who just passes his test, can go out and buy (finances depending) a top of the range high powered sports car and take it onto a motorway.

I have seen enough accidents on our motorways involving young drivers to last a lifetime!

i disagree.

a driver who could have afforded a subaru impreza with or without finance will be more than happy to drop 5k on an engine. an engine rebuild isn't difficult, i had my first one under my belt at 17. i agree it's not going to be all of them but there's going to be a lot of them doing it.

the insurance part of it is entirely voluntary until they get caught, crash or die. many will take the risk.

i have no idea how old you are but i've had my license almost 19 years, my attitude has changed dramatically in that time. i used to be one of the drivers we are talking about in this thread. young drivers have no interest in road safety, only showing off and s****g. that won't change with lower powered cars which can do just as much damage. better education is the way, sadly we live in a country too ineffective to realise it.

A Subaru Impreza has never come with a 1200cc engine, thats my point. An engine so small will cost ££££ to get it even close to 200 BPH. I agree there are pretty nippy 1200cc cars about, you but you have to draw the line somewhere.

I agree any car will do some damage, but you have to have a starting point. Educating these young boy racer type drivers will never happen. We have been educating them for years, they just want to show off infront of their girlfriends and mates, thats why young inexperienced drivers are the highest risk, and have been for a very long time.

You have to put some sort of barrier infront of them, i.e the night time lessons, motorway awareness etc, smaller engines etc. Make these things compulsory and young drivers will get better premiums, gain more knowledge and hopefully become better and safer drivers. It will be done to give them experience and educate them.

When I first got my license I was an average driver who liked the idea of a fast car, becoming a very experienced driver has shown me what an idiot I was, or could have been

I agree on how are they supposed to gain experience for driving at night? Maybe a pass plus brought in, not only country lanes and motorways but driving at night also. 5 lessons at night, until then, no driving at night.

They are also bringing in a new test, the basically the examiner can just say 'follow the sign for here' and mark them on the driving, they could get a manouvere or not.

Sponsored Links
Now is it that young drivers are the problem or inexperienced drivers? Not always the same thing. And are you guys having a go at younger drivers sure you're not the same guys and girls driving 40 mph in a 60 mph limit because it is safer ...but ignoring the fact that everyone has to over take you or else add 50% onto their journey time?

Now is it that young drivers are the problem or inexperienced drivers? Not always the same thing. And are you guys having a go at younger drivers sure you're not the same guys and girls driving 40 mph in a 60 mph limit because it is safer ...but ignoring the fact that everyone has to over take you or else add 50% onto their journey time?
Better late than never,and where is it that everyone needs to rush to.

Better late than never,and where is it that everyone needs to rush to.
it's only rushing if going faster than expected. On a 60 road you'd expect 60. As for the second part of that question... we don't know. Maybe they are late for an interview, maybe they are on route to hospital. Maybe they need to pick up kids. There are hundreds of reasons.

A Subaru Impreza has never come with a 1200cc engine, thats my point. An engine so small will cost ££££ to get it even close to 200 BPH. I agree there are pretty nippy 1200cc cars about, you but you have to draw the line somewhere.

er yes, that was my point. :confused:

if they were limited to 1300cc then the driver who wanted a scooby will happily spend 5k on his fiesta engine. i would have.

I agree any car will do some damage, but you have to have a starting point. Educating these young boy racer type drivers will never happen. We have been educating them for years, they just want to show off infront of their girlfriends and mates, thats why young inexperienced drivers are the highest risk, and have been for a very long time.

they haven't been educated. fact. they have been bored with **** adverts and **** driving lessons that teach you nothing about real driving. look how some skando's do it, that's education.

You have to put some sort of barrier infront of them, i.e the night time lessons, motorway awareness etc, smaller engines etc. Make these things compulsory and young drivers will get better premiums, gain more knowledge and hopefully become better and safer drivers. It will be done to give them experience and educate them.

that's more like it.

When I first got my license I was an average driver who liked the idea of a fast car, becoming a very experienced driver has shown me what an idiot I was, or could have been

same here. if i was taught properly my risk to others certainly would have been less.

it's only rushing if going faster than expected. On a 60 road you'd expect 60. As for the second part of that question... we don't know.

Many country roads are classed as National Speed limit roads but in truth you are lucky if you can mange just over 40mph because of the twists and bends. Usually when someone is travlling that fast on these type of roads it is because they are locals who know the roads well but don't appreciate what may be around the next bend.

Maybe they are late for an interview, maybe they are on route to hospital. Maybe they need to pick up kids. There are hundreds of reasons

And not one single one of them valid as an excuse for fast driving.
Would you accept someones apology for killing your wife/child by crashing into them but it was because they were late for an interview/picking up the kids etc?
No, and neither would a court of law.
If you have to be somewhere for a specific time then set off earlier and allow yourself the time to drive carefully.

A few months ago I was asked by my supervisor why it took me around 1 hour 20 minutes to reach a certain customer when both apprentices could achieve it in just under 1 hour.
My repy was that I drove within the speed limits and my capabilities.
This was justified less than a fortnight later when both apprentices, going to this particular customer on two different occassions, each had an accident. One crashed into a gate on a bend, luckily the cows were at the other side of the field, and the other ran his wheels into a ditch and then, skimming the marker posts at the side of the road, he sheared 4 of the 6 front wheel bolts off and gouged a channel down the side of the wagon. No other drivers were involved in either incident.
Cost of first incident just over £2,400 for repairs to wagon and farmers property.
Cost of second incident £4,000 for repairs to hire wagon which was needed due to first one being repaired.
On top of this the cost of the hire wagon because of the first incident.
Both apprentices have been banned from driving company vehicles until they have a further incident free 2 years driving under their belt. If they have an incident in their own or anyone elses vehicle the 2 years starts again.

I must admit that when I first passed my test, I too drove everywhere like my hair was on fire and although I curse young drivers today I remember the time I lost it on a wet roundabout or found myself travelling backwards through a hedge... In doing this, 1 I was lucky not to have hurt anyone and 2 learnt what I can do and what I can't do in a car in various weather conditions...... I learnt to drive. Perhaps a more Scandinavian attitude to the test, driving on skid pans as part of the test as well as an area where the youngsters can go where they can burn off their enthusiasm (Though I doubt that the HSE would allow this)

Generally speaking, I find that it is not just the young who cannot use the motorway correctly, the worst are those who use their cars just for travelling from home to work and back, weekend drivers and holiday drivers.... Those drivers who spend most of their time safely locked up in offices and warehouses...

Perhaps part of the test should also include being a passenger in an HGV so that car drivers can begin to grasp just why the heavy guys have to take up so much of the road when turning .

Very good idea Corgigrouch. On my last job , I had to drive 7.5tonne lorries 8ft wide and 30ft long. Small fry compared to articulated vehicles, but still take a lot of stopping at 56mph. Takes a lot more concentration to drive,constantly bearing in mind the width, length and height of the vehicle. ;) ;)

On the day I passed my test, which was opposite where I worked, I was immediately given the keys to a company vehicle, and the experience of driving a vehicle on my own for the first time, certainly expanded my experience. Driving a car for 8 hours a day, on my own for the first time, was certainly a help. Driving to and from work, was a bad experience. Boring. Stop start traffic, no experience at all.

My only blame claim, was when a £400 Fiat Uno slammed on after the light turned green, and the boot was slightly dented. No damage to my car at all. But they claimed all the way...either leave it on a cheap car, but no, they went in guns blazing. For a £400 Uno...? sad. The boot still operated, just a tiny dent.

Others, have been a virtual head on, as the car in front flashed the car turning right to go, even though he knew I was behind him. He gave false details. Or a wagon, swaying about in the 3rd lane of the motorway, I thought this is dangerous, so slowed down, and created a gap, next thing, wagon hits traffic, I slam on, as his decelleration is a lot faster than mine, traffic behind flash me on to avoid his accident.

it's only rushing if going faster than expected. On a 60 road you'd expect 60. As for the second part of that question... we don't know.

Many country roads are classed as National Speed limit roads but in truth you are lucky if you can mange just over 40mph because of the twists and bends. Usually when someone is travlling that fast on these type of roads it is because they are locals who know the roads well but don't appreciate what may be around the next bend.

Maybe they are late for an interview, maybe they are on route to hospital. Maybe they need to pick up kids. There are hundreds of reasons

And not one single one of them valid as an excuse for fast driving.

Completely disagree, every single one of those is a reason to want to drive the speed limit (I am not talking about reasons to speed).
There is a road near where I live that goes through canterbury and it is a A road. Two way traffic all the way, quite wide, lots of straights. The most dangerous part of a journey is when you get an idiot driving at 40 mph even though it is 60mph. A lot of people will sit behind the idiot and not overtake because they too are idiots or they do not feel confident enough....which means if you are 5 cars back you either have to A) live with the fact that your hour journey is now going to be an hour and a half journey... meaning missed appointments, late pick ups, and all the crap that goes with it. Or B) You try and overtake 5 cars in one shot....

In this situation, the REAL menace in my opinion is the idiot that can't drive 60mph. If they do not feel confident doing this they shouldn't be on the road.

If you don't agree now, you would if you had to do that journey there and back every day for a year.

Again, I am not talking about speeding or even pushing the limits on country roads, I am talking A roads and B roads at a push.

All driving lessons must should have a minimum of 2 hours motorway driving, the test should should incorporate some motorway driving

I agree with this in theory, but I can't get to a motorway in less than an hour from where I live and learnt to drive - at the £25+ an hour instructors charge these days that gonna cost a fortune!

I agree that police and instructors should think more about their driving - I followed a police car last weekend who was tailgating the car in front, then when that car turned off he was driving 20mph below the speed limit for no apparent reason and negotiated 3 junctions without using his indicators. And one of our local driving instructors who was aged around 70 was one of the worst drivers i've ever seen - thankfully he's retired now.

I aslo agree with you skitzee - slow drivers (without reason ie. not tractors, lorries, busses) are incredibly dangerous because you'll always get someone who'll overtake when its no safe to do so out of frustration. Police should stop people driving slowly and find out why they're driving so slowly.

Maybe people should spend a week with the traffic cops after passing their test - first hand experience of the consequences of dangerous driving might be the best way to teach people. I came across a bloke in a car who'd hit a tree at 70+mph on an icy dual carriageway a few years ago (the tree didn't move an inch), its something i'll never forget and while i've never been a 'boy-racer', I certainly put more thought into my driving since that day.

My, now 18 yr old was on a curfew when she passed her test last year, from 11 at night till 5 am, brought our insurance for her down from 17 hundred, down to 11 hundred, tracker on it. brilliant idea. and iv'e been a scrote in the past.
What sort of car is she driving for that kind of insurance? both my daughters started out with 1100 cc engines and the insurance was £700 third party fire and theft.

A p reg, peugot 106, only last year when she passed, and had to have Pass Plus. Updgrading her to a 53 plate corsa this year, god help us for insurance this time round. She works, so will be paying her own insurance this year.She had to have full comp, or no-one would insure her for less than 3 grand, sounds mad, i know.

P.S., would.nt mind knowing the insurance firm your with, if youd'e care to p.m. me.

Sponsored Links
Back