Where's he gone?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's all been very quiet on the Winny front recently. No posts since 4th January. Winston1 isn't shown if one does a search.
Has he been sent to a gulag?

Sponsored Links
Perhaps he's been too busy arguing with Artificial Intelligence, to bother with us :) - I've just been having a chat with ChatGPT:

Screenshot_20230115-234435_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230115-234340_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230115-234332_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230115-234326_Chrome.jpg

Let me know if you want any other burning questions answered! :)

It's all been very quiet on the Winny front recently. No posts since 4th January. Winston1 isn't shown if one does a search.
One might hope for a more pleasing explanation, but maybe he's skiing (which seems to be the excuse given for many of my colleagues currently being "OOO"!) ;)

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
the problem with descriptions like lamp and bulb will be trade specific and standards can not be imposed in a uniform way across several trades or groups as your understanding will not have automatic connection to other groups unless you work to the same regulations requiring the same standard

the problem with descriptions like lamp and bulb will be trade specific and standards can not be imposed in a uniform way across several trades or groups as your understanding ...
True in some situations, but the thing about light bulbs is that a very substantial proportion of the market is represented by retail sales to members of the general public, who use the very-long-established general public's vocabulary and terminology.

As I'm always saying, just try in any retail store to be shown 'lamps' and you will very rarely be shown 'light bulbs'. Ask for a lamp for yout table lamp, standard lamp or headlamp and they will just look at you as if you are crazy :)

Kind Regards, John

Oddly, if you enter Winston1 in the search member it returns results, but you can’t use an @ for the user? 12 days doesn’t seem too much of a gap, or were they more persistent than that? Perhaps account is in process of being deleted (3 days iirc).

Attachments

• E16261E4-ED3E-4AD5-911D-D61F8F5C45F2.jpeg
    E16261E4-ED3E-4AD5-911D-D61F8F5C45F2.jpeg
    188.3 KB · Views: 45
I remember being caught out with lamp and bulb, ordered a head lamp, and it arrived minus the bulb.

However internet info seems to be based on USA and in USA what we call extra low voltage they call low voltage.

Since it seems lead solder is limited in its use today, is the person who repairs pipe organs a Plumber? It is all very good saying a plumber is a worker of lead, but if I want some one to repairs my pipes not going to find many results for a Cuprier or what ever the Latin is for worker of copper, and would not think there is a Latin word for plastic, suppose since most is made from wood, carpenter I suppose?

I do still write, and have written, not texted what ever that is. I do at times use codes and initials to shorten what I am writing QSL. But unless part of the international Q code I would try to say consumer unit (CU) and then use shortened form.

I have no real problem calling some thing after what it replaced with something to show it's not the original so electronic transformer is not a problem, is it has the word electronic, but to call a box of electronics a ballast rather than electronic ballast means hard to differentiate between them.

As we move around the English speaking nations, we find words which have fell into disuse in the UK, I did not know what a hoggett was, but used a lot on the Falklands, but they did not understand bovine, seemed odd being a farming community.

The problem is when we want to talk about things without using the correct words, and so the word we use instead changes meaning, to comb ones hair to attend to ones toilet, but it is not what we would now use the word for.

English evolves, and it seems to evolve slightly different as we move around the world, and even within one nation, we seem to use installation to mean the non current using items with the exception of lights, but it seems some people include any fixed appliance as well.

And looking at some of the items not tested when doing the inspection and testing of in service electrical equipment, I wonder what people consider as electrical equipment?

It makes sense for the moderators to bar him from posting but then leave some of his posts accessible to show the type of posting that lead to him being barred.

He could be reading this as a "guest"

Oddly, if you enter Winston1 in the search member it returns results, but you can’t use an @ for the user? 12 days doesn’t seem too much of a gap, or were they more persistent than that? Perhaps account is in process of being deleted (3 days iirc).
The same for ban-all-sheds
Type that in the search and you’ll get his old posts. But he’s not listed as a user.

[light bulb moment] could it be that if you type “Winston1” in the search bar, you are just getting a text string search? The user name pull up window is a background task?
[/light bulb moment]

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back